The Black Death?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

The Black Death?

Post by Ali Baba »

I’ve had this Melocactus azureus from a very small seedling and it has grown pretty well with occasional batterings from small children for a couple of decades. It has always been a house plant so never gets colder than 15C and watered all year around. This winter I had noticed some patches where the epidermis had become paler, these eventually form large black blisters, one of which has begun to ooze brown clear fluid. I’m guessing that the prognosis is not good, anyone else seen anything like this?
Attachments
36852934-6568-4811-8732-4C4C8BB8C2DB.jpeg
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: The Black Death?

Post by ralphrmartin »

I once had something similar happen to a Borzicactus. I presume it's due to some microrganism - perhaps someone else can tell us which one? I'd chop the top off and try to rescue it as a cutting.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

I think I've seen it diagnosed as a bacterial infection. I had it on 3 Trichocereus seedlings. The 2 smallest died, it eventually healed over on the rather larger third plant, leaving a brown scar but seemingly no long term issues.
So if you don't fancy surgery, keep it warm and dryish and hope for the best.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

ralphrmartin wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:26 pm I once had something similar happen to a Borzicactus. I presume it's due to some microrganism - perhaps someone else can tell us which one? I'd chop the top off and try to rescue it as a cutting.
I’d imagine that chopping it without infecting the surface would be tricky if it is a bacterial infection, and I suspect rooting the top might also be a bit of a challenge 😳
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

esp wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:33 pm I think I've seen it diagnosed as a bacterial infection. I had it on 3 Trichocereus seedlings. The 2 smallest died, it eventually healed over on the rather larger third plant, leaving a brown scar but seemingly no long term issues.
So if you don't fancy surgery, keep it warm and dryish and hope for the best.
That’s my plan, if it dies it dies
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

Hi Ali
Many cacti have alkaloids just under the skin ( epidermis ) especially blue epidermis and quick growing cereus types ( Trichocereus/Pilosocereus ) when the body of the plant is bruised or even sprayed with chemicals it can cause it to go black, which then becomes a pustule and starts to leak out a brown resin type liquid.
If the plant is left alone warm and dry ( Melocactus ) it will heal up and leave a large brown scar which will slowly grow out.
The marks never disappear but a plant of that size should recover OK.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Thanks Ray that’s interesting and reassuring. Curiously the side that faces the (kitchen) window is unaffected. Perhaps it objects to my kids cooking! :grin:
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Is there any way to treat bacterial infections?

I've posted here before that I just can't grow Lobivia jajoiana. Seedlings just turn brown like a bad RSM infection.
Adult plants that I've bought turn black like in the picture above.

I'm seeing some black marks on some Gymnocalycium now also.
SimonT
Registered Guest

Post by SimonT »

I have one Aylostera that responded to a spray I use for mites by coming out in similar black/brown blotches.
Strangely I have another clone that seems quite happy being treated with the same spray.
My experience so far is that blotches seemed to either grow out or flake off over time.

I've seen a similar response to a plant outside that has had something dig a hole through the plant. So I guess the blackening might be a general
damage response. I think you just have to watch and see if the dark area continues to spread- if it does then the problem is ongoing and
you might have to do something drastic. Otherwise you could leave it and hope the plant recovers on its own. I've managed to spray my sensitive
plant again by mistake this year and so far 'waiting' seems to be working!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Its a nuisance, this was a denmosa rhodacantha I bought, over a foot tall and then this happened.
I did start surgery & then gave up- too messy & I had got the hump .
I'll find out next year if it makes it, it came unrooted which won't have helped.
It did get a spray with alcohol after this
20230915_124534.jpg
20231001_165520.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.