My greenhouse is still there

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

My greenhouse is still there

Post by iann »

A few other things blew over, but the greenhouse is intact. Trees will grow back, right?
Cheshire, UK
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: My greenhouse is still there

Post by rodsmith »

iann wrote:Trees will grow back, right?
Yes, quite so, but greenhouses won't. It's really important to have a greenhouse securely fixed to the ground if we're going to get many winds like yesterday's.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by CactusFanDan »

I lost most of the glass from the back of my greenhouse and I think the frame warped a bit too. Not the end of the world, all the plants are fine and there's not much to do in terms of repair. I'm sure they appreciate the added ventilation. :wink:
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
John Dos
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by John Dos »

We have seen images of the south of UK here on TV, and it looks real dangerous. Hope this 'winter' will be over soon - as well as the bushfires in Australia.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

CactusFanDan wrote:I lost most of the glass from the back of my greenhouse and I think the frame warped a bit too. Not the end of the world, all the plants are fine and there's not much to do in terms of repair. I'm sure they appreciate the added ventilation. :wink:
It must have been borderline here, but good to know the greenhouse is sound up to 70mph at least.
Cheshire, UK
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

iann wrote:It must have been borderline here, but good to know the greenhouse is sound up to 70mph at least.
I am happy to know my greenhouse can withstand a blow like that too. Mine is now over 15 years old, so probably not all that sturdy anymore.

Although we don't have the storm up here as you do, we had a very windy night in August with heavy winds, rain and the biggest thunderstorm I have experienced. In the two hours it blew over, my greenhouse was basically undamaged. I was fearing the worst, so risked it going outside in the heavy thunderstorm to see what the damage would be. I was very very very relieved to see only one top window was blown out. Not so strange, as it was open fully (there was no warning for a storm, and the temperatures during the day were high), about one meter open. The big panel flew right over the greenhouse, not hitting anything else.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Given the conditions and damage here in North wales, just 2 panes broken seems nothing short of a miracle to me, either that or I build v strong greenhouses. And of the two one you say was my own fault, failure to secure autovent.

Bill
chris68
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by chris68 »

Our 12 x 8 polycarbonate greenhouse survived intact but not without some internal upgrades to the frame.

Back just before Christmas when one of the many storms hit most of the 6ft roof sheets pushed in with the high winds and then popped out from the side clips and blew over several neighbours gardens. We retrieved all but one, but realised due to the length of these sheets they needed additional support.

This was achieved by adding lengths of aluminium angle on the inside, drilling through both this and polycarbonate sheet and securing with plugs of similar type used for polycarbonate roofing sheets. There is still some flex in the sheets but they are now supported both at the side and in 2 places in the middle. Not a sign of damage to it now on the South coast and we have had some nasty gusts.

Even adding in the extra cost of the metalwork and time to modify, it still worked out cheaper than buying a more expensive greenhouse.
Varied collection of mostly cacti with some Agave and Aloes - space is always the problem!!
Rene G

Post by Rene G »

To prevent the glass from breaking it is wise to screw all the strats to the staging! The glass usually breakes because the force of the wind bend the strats, so the glass flicks out as I found out some years ago. Now the strats are fastened, all is well and no damage up to 80 miles an hour. In my big greenhouse the strats don't bend so I never have had damage so far in 25 years.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

I was actually amazed when I went into the garden at the height of the winds that the greenhouse seemed to be the only thing that actually wasn't moving at all.

So I guess if I ever lose all my trees, plants, and fence panels to wind at least I'll still have the greenhouse.