Lophophora starting to rot -what do I do

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AllanH
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Lophophora starting to rot -what do I do

Post by AllanH »

Hi,
I've got a double headed Lophophora Williamsii that I've had for over 10 years. I've just noticed that there's 2 dark soft spots developed, one on each head at either end of the cacti. See the pics below.
They're both soft to the touch and look like rot to me.

I really want to save this cacti. What should I be doing?
IMG_20231109_095402.jpg
IMG_20231109_095407.jpg
IMG_20231109_095417.jpg
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lophophora starting to rot -what do I do

Post by Aiko »

If it is soft and spongy, then I would cut it out until you come across nothing but fresh looking greenish tissue, and all the brown stuff is gone.

If one of the parts is hard, I would have a look to see if it spreads. You could take a pen and mark the edges, to see if it spreads the next week / weeks. If it does, I would suggest to do my first suggestion above.
AllanH
Registered Guest

Post by AllanH »

It's only soft and spongy in the discoloured part around the base, elsewhere its firm. I've now marked it with pen so I should know if it spreads.

Is there anything I can do to minimise the spread, or maximise it's chances of survival. Is it better to keep it in a cold location, say, or somewhere warm?
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

Aiko wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:23 pm If it is soft and spongy, then I would cut it out until you come across nothing but fresh looking greenish tissue, and all the brown stuff is gone.

If one of the parts is hard, I would have a look to see if it spreads. You could take a pen and mark the edges, to see if it spreads the next week / weeks. If it does, I would suggest to do my first suggestion above.
🖒 (tu)
AllanH
Registered Guest

Post by AllanH »

Aiko wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:23 pm If it is soft and spongy, then I would cut it out until you come across nothing but fresh looking greenish tissue, and all the brown stuff is gone.
If I cut out the rot what's my next step. Should I treat the cut green tissue with anything: sulphur, fungicide, etc and then what, just leave it to dry?
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by EdMcKenna »

Anytime I've had to cut into a cactus I have always followed up with a dusting of Sulfur powder. It seems to keep rot or opportunistic fungi at bay. If you cut into the Lophos I would think to keep them a bit warmer than normal overwintering temperatures. Hope you save them 🤞🤞
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by EdMcKenna »

Anytime I've cut into a cactus I've always followed with a dusting of Sulfur powder. It seems to keep rot or opportunistic fungi at bay. If you cut into the Lophos I would think to keep them a bit warmer than normal overwintering temperatures. Hope you save them 🤞🤞
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I'd endorse that. Sulphur does seem to keep the nasties away.
AND I'd agree that the Lophophora might be happier in a warmer spot over winter
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Just FYI,
As a chemist, (tu) for Ed re. sulfur not sulphur. :wink:
IUPAC deemed that sulfur was the preferred spelling many years ago now, see e.g.:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nchem.301
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Tony R wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:34 pm Just FYI,
As a chemist, (tu) for Ed re. sulfur not sulphur. :wink:
IUPAC deemed that sulfur was the preferred spelling many years ago now, see e.g.:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nchem.301
ok I'm old school
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.