Old & Battered

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Acid John
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Old & Battered

Post by Acid John »

Bought from a market stall in Newcastle-Under-Lyme 30+ years ago. I keep thinking I will bin it, then it starts to flower in autumn and I always give it a second chance.
No name Neoporteria with the most fluorescent flowers for brightening up a dull November day.
20221115_110908.jpg
20221115_110921.jpg
Acid John
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Old & Battered

Post by Ernie »

(tu)
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

This is a problem, I assume many of us growers have old or very old plants that are well past their youth and looking worst for wear. Some are the first plants we grew, others were given to us by our children, and so on.It’s a difficult decision to make.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Eric Williams wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:13 pm This is a problem, I assume many of us growers have old or very old plants that are well past their youth and looking worst for wear. Some are the first plants we grew, others were given to us by our children, and so on.It’s a difficult decision to make.
It's not much easier with the dozens of seedlings, from which only 4-5 deserve potting up!
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

If this was an image of a plant in habitat ..... would the thoughts and discussion be similar? I think not.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Acid John
BCSS Member

Post by Acid John »

It is something that you would never buy new in that state but after all these years I've grown accustomed to.
Acid John
rodsmith
BCSS Member

Post by rodsmith »

Beautiful.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Love the flowers a bit like fireworks but why after 30 years does it look so poorly, is it prone to burning or some other issue
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Acid John
BCSS Member

Post by Acid John »

It always looked like that Tina.
Acid John
DanielAdkins
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by DanielAdkins »

To me it's a plant of beauty, its no show winner, but it is what a cactus of age in nature would look like, and it certainly doesn't deserve the bin.