Potting up... Agave lophantha quadricolor

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
juster
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Potting up... Agave lophantha quadricolor

Post by juster »

Lovely plant Mike and it looks good in that pot, perhaps keep a couple of offsets just in case it decides to flower :smile:
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Colin Walker
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Mike wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:09 pm The only bigger pot I had was MUCH bigger. But, bullet bitten and 100 litres of compost and gravel later (and some of my lifeblood - those spikes are sharp!.
Looks so much better as a solitary rosette without the pups. This is my standard practice whenever possible. Agave lophantha in all its various forms is a prolific pupper.😳😀
Cheers,
Colin

F & Life Member, BCSS
FCSSA
Trustee, The Gordon Rowley Foundation
President, The Haworthia Society
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Mike »

Thanks Tony, I've put in a request to join the 'Member Group'. Patrick, if meanwhile you'd like to PM me that's an alternative.
Colin, I'm wondering if this one (centre) might be an 'ordinary' lophantha? It came from seed labelled as A. garciae-mendoza which it clearly isn't. It's only produced two pups, though. Any ideas?
20200417_101920[1].jpg
Cheers
Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Mike wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:22 am Patrick, if meanwhile you'd like to PM me that's an alternative.
Have done just that Mike
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
agavedave
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by agavedave »

Mike wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:22 am Thanks Tony, I've put in a request to join the 'Member Group'. Patrick, if meanwhile you'd like to PM me that's an alternative.
Colin, I'm wondering if this one (centre) might be an 'ordinary' lophantha? It came from seed labelled as A. garciae-mendoza which it clearly isn't. It's only produced two pups, though. Any ideas?
20200417_101920[1].jpg
Cheers
Mike
I have one very much like that I bought as a seedling and it too looks nothing like it should. I don't think it is lophantha either as it has no desire to grow particularly large. Probably a hybrid of something in that family as they seem cross all too easily.

Best regards
Dave
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Mike wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:22 am Thanks Tony, I've put in a request to join the 'Member Group'. Patrick, if meanwhile you'd like to PM me that's an alternative.
Cheers
Mike
Re.: Agave garciae-mendozae

Mike, you've got me thinking about Agave garciae-mendozae. Photo of my lone plant here.

For scale rosette is about 28 cm diam. and it has yet to pup.

fullsizeoutput_7b3.jpeg

This came as a small seedling from Geoff Bowman (agave Geoff) back in 2014. I would have expected Geoff to use reliable sources for his seed.

Thinking about this it does look rather like Agave lophantha, especially because of the prominent mid stripe, which is NOT mentioned in the description for Agave garciae-mendozae. However, this species has stonkingly large rosettes up to 1.75 m diam, so we may just be looking at very immature plants. My sole plant is relatively slow growing compared to Agave lophantha which in contrast romps away given root room and loads of water which it can take by the shed load. :shock:

I've just checked again on the first description of Agave garciae-mendozae. The single habitat shot shows a rosette in which I can detect a very feint mid stripe on some leaves. See also habitat shot (slightly different) in John Pilbeam's A Gallery of Agaves p.88. Note here the spelling of the species name is wrong. :shock:

So, I think the jury is currently out on the ID here.
Cheers,
Colin

F & Life Member, BCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

agavedave wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:56 pm
20200417_101920[1].jpg
Cheers
Mike
I have one very much like that I bought as a seedling and it too looks nothing like it should. I don't think it is lophantha either as it has no desire to grow particularly large. Probably a hybrid of something in that family as they seem cross all too easily.

Best regards
Dave
Dave, it's just possible that what we're growing as Agave garciae-mendozae may be a hybrid. Tina once raised a batch of Agave montana seedlings for me and there were two seedlings that clearly weren't this species.
Cheers,
Colin

F & Life Member, BCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Mike »

I guess it's very hard to prevent hybridisation of Agaves in cultivation, given the sizes of the inflorescences, but that would also require two different species to be in flower at the same time at the same location. Is that likely, I wonder?
Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Mike wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:43 am I guess it's very hard to prevent hybridisation of Agaves in cultivation, given the sizes of the inflorescences, but that would also require two different species to be in flower at the same time at the same location. Is that likely, I wonder?
Mike
Mike, Agave garciae-mendozae is recently described so any seed will have come from habitat. However, there are many places where two or more species grow together (sympatrically) that hybridisation is possible. So for example the ranges for Agave montana and A. gentryi overlap and hybrids between them are known, such that there's a zone where the two species intergrade with each other, a process known as introgression. There are several other similar examples. Agave xpumila is not a species but an interspecific hybrid, but the parents of the original clone are disputed but one is almost certainly Agave nickelsiae (formerly Agave ferdinandi-regis) with maybe Agave lechuguilla being the other parent.
Cheers,
Colin

F & Life Member, BCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Skribbane
Registered Guest
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Skribbane »

Absolutely stunning plant, Mike!
Vice-chair Sheffield branch & Internet Committee member. @xericdelights on Instagram. 700 plants later and I still haven't picked a favourite genus!