Cyphostemma juttae experiences

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
phyllonemus
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Cyphostemma juttae experiences

Post by phyllonemus »

I'm realy interested to buy Cyphostemma juttae and want to know if this is a difficult caudex plant to keep.

Are there keepers who want to share some pictures and experiences with this plant ?

Is this plant advisable for Caudex starters ?

Thanks in advance.
Riny

Varied collection of succulents but I especially like Euphorbia's, Apocynaceae and Cucurbitaceae.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cyphostemma juttae experiences

Post by Aiko »

it's not a hard species. I keep mine a bit warmer in winter, but I doubt if that is really really really necessary. It can cope with plenty of water, so from my experience there is no big risk of overwatering too.

I have seeds of this Cyphostemma available, if you are interested.
phyllonemus
Registered Guest

Post by phyllonemus »

Aiko wrote:I have seeds of this Cyphostemma available, if you are interested.
Maybe.
Is sowing of this specie very demanding/difficult ?
I never sown succulents before.
Riny

Varied collection of succulents but I especially like Euphorbia's, Apocynaceae and Cucurbitaceae.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I have tried once, without success. I understood it is not a species with easy success when it comes to sowing. So if you haven't sown anything yet, you might better practise with the more common species first. Or wait until / if I have some seedlings for you later this year.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I got some Cyphostemma juttae seeds in a seed swap a few days ago. Took them out of the ripe berries, so they are very fresh. The seeds where very white, but are not turning dark brown once out of the berries.

What is the best time to sow them? Now, while they are still very fresh? It is basically winter up here already, with temperatures at night close to 0C, day time between 5C and 10C at most. Lot's of gloomy days until late February.

Or wait for spring, when the weather is much better and light intensity actually helps them to grow? Will four months do much harm to germination rate for Cyphostemma juttae seeds?
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

Judging from my experience, and that of others, I think 0% germination success is common, even when trying a range of normal techniques for "difficult" species such as chipping.
So I think you should sow at least some of the seeds immediately, in case extreme freshness is a parameter contributing to germination success. Maybe try a batch very warm if you possibly can, your 0-10 deg temp range is extremely low for gemination of most cool temperate plants, let alone plants from warmer climates.
kohinoor
Registered Guest

Post by kohinoor »

germination rate is bad.Hard to germinate even in good weather. Best i have ever heard is 30%
Plant summer grower did not like soil complected dry.Like relatively large amount of water.
flower seems to be self-fertile.
i keep soil dry in winter dormancy .

Seed may germinate separated in very long period of time.
I heard someone had a seed did not germinate this season and germinate in next year.
but this info can;t be confirm.

i live in subtropical climate i will say it;s easy plant. my plant survive from a serious root rot lost half of it;s caudex and still alive.
From taiwan. hot humid subtropical island.
Pachypodium grow like weed here.
(not really, but u get the idea hot sunny rainy)
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I also believe it needs extra warmth in winter, otherwise the growing point tends to rot back.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

ralphrmartin wrote:I also believe it needs extra warmth in winter, otherwise the growing point tends to rot back.
With the extra warmth, the previous year's stem growth tends to dry up, unless it's also given some water at times over the winter.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525