Need an identification please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
macavity
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Need an identification please

Post by macavity »

Some time last year I bought a huge batch of cacti from a gentleman who was selling off his collection. There were a few that I particularly wanted in there (so definitely worth it from my point of view) but the majority of them were these fairly common-looking ones. Anyway, the point is that I am looking to sell them all off but before I do, I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me exactly what they are! There appear to be two slightly different kinds and I have tried to take as clear a photo as possible of both types, but I do have some better lit photos in decorated pots if you need them.

Please let me know if you can help!
Attachments
Cacti 011.jpg
Cacti 005.jpg
Cacti 007.jpg
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Need an identification please

Post by Phil_SK »

I think they're all Echinopsis oxygona. The spines become less bristly as they get older which can result in their appearing to be different plants.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

macavity wrote:There were a few that I particularly wanted in there (so definitely worth it from my point of view)
Which are those?
McFarland
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by McFarland »

Agree with Phil, some of them look a little bit elongated though that might just be an age or echinopsis thing and not due to lack of light
Lithos
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Lithos »

Aiko - :lol:
Maurice Vaughan
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by Maurice Vaughan »

The plant in pot 61 might be a Echinopsis haka-jo as there appears to be some new growth under the main bulb of the plant . By the way this is an out of the air guess. Have just enlarged the photo and i take back what i have written its not new growth.
Thank you .
Maurice
My intrests are centered around Astrophytums and the Stapeliads
I am a member of the Cambridge group of CSS
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

Good grafting stock if nothing else.....
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Werewolf
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Werewolf »

They could all be E. oxygona forms but they could also be hybrids of one type or another, which might explain why there are so many of them. A great number of these have been created and they are often difficult to distinguish when not in flower.
macavity
BCSS Member
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Post by macavity »

Thanks. It's pretty difficult to identify an echinopsis and this gives me a better idea what to tell people when selling. Unfortunately none of them have flowered in the year or so that I have had them but they're not exactly in ideal conditions at the moment. Incidentally if anybody wants one then let me know! :grin:

Aiko, I got a big pot of a kalanchoe (tubiflora I believe), a large echinopsis with chunky curved spines, varied crassula, some sort of opuntia that I haven't figured out yet, and an epiphyllum orchid. I will try to post some photos this week of anything nice.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

As has been said they are all "Echinopsis" but are not getting enough sunlight (td) They could be all different flower colours but unless they are given good sun and water you wont know . 61 is deff not "Haku-Jo" . Did you number them ?? or does the numbers relate to anything ?? :grin:
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.