Aloe plicatilis flowering

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Aloe plicatilis flowering

Post by BrianMc »

I was amazed the other day to find a flower spike forming on my Aloe plicatilis. The reason for my amazement is that my plant is only around 10" tall from the top of the pot. The bare stem is only about 3-4 " and it is growing in a 7" pot.
Now these plants grow to the size of a large bush/ or a small tree (depending which way you look at it - half full/half empty) I thought they had to be a reasonable size to flower.

Is anyone out there flowering their plicatilis, if so, how small was it when it started.

Frank, I see you posted a pic of the flower in the Yahoo Aloe Forum. Was this your plant?

I will post a pic of my plant in due course, when there is more to see. I don't really want to disturb the plant just yet, while it is in this amorous mood!(:D
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Re: Aloe plicatilis flowering

Post by Aloenut »

Brian,

Wasn't me!

There is an 'Aloenut' on the Yahoo forum from the USA.

Aloenut (UK)
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Sorry Frank, 2 and 2 sort of moment.

Seeing as I hooked you....

Have you got plicatilis?
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

[size=medium]Hi Brian

I'll look forward to the pictures,My plant has just started to divide and is developing 3 separate heads but no sign of a flower yet.

I also have several younger plants (2 or 3 yrs old)that I grew from seed which are growing well.
[/size]
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

or as Colin would say, dividing dichotomously ( maybe spelt wrong), see Colin I do listen sometimes;)
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aloenut
BCSS Member

Post by Aloenut »

Brian,

I have a pot of seedlings. And also one slightly older plant that's not big enough to branch yet. I will put this one outdoors over the summer.
I tried one of the seedlings in a coldframe over the winter but it did not make it.

Aloenut
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Aloe plicatilis not yet flowering!

Post by Lindsey »

I hadn't realised this sp was obtainable in UK till I saw a couple of small ones at Holly Gate last autumn. They had to come home with me... paid for, of course :)

Any tips on cultivation from you Aloeologists would be much welcome - summer or winter grower, how much sun etc. etc. How old do they have to be to flower? Wondering where it is obtainable as seed, but I won't pry into anyone's secret seed sources ;)
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Hi Lindsey,

Well for me it's cultivation is really quite simple. It comes from a Winter rainfall area in South Africa and so requires a little drink every now and then during our Winters, this also stops the leaftips drying up. I think, like all the other Winter rainfall Aloes, it is opportunistic and will take water whenever it is offered and light but steady watering through the Summer doesn't go amiss. I get the impression that they like deep pots. My plant gets all the sun a Scottish greenhouse allows. As far as size for flowering... that was one of my reasons for posting. Until recently, I thought they would have to be quite big. Sometimes plants flower when they are in fear for their life - I think that is what is worrying me about my little guy coming in to flower so young. He looks healthy enough.
I look forward to hearing others views.
Aloenut
BCSS Member

Post by Aloenut »

Lindsey,

As Brian pointed out Al plicatilis grows in the winter rainfall area of the Western Cape. So it likes to be watered in winter. I also find that it doesn't mind being watered in summer, and mine seems to grow quite a bit in the warmer months too.
And as much sun as possible. Also, I grow this species in an acidic soil mix.

No secret seed sources.
I get my Aloe seeds from Doug Rowland and Silverhill (I think the seeds from my batch came from Doug).

Aloenut

Post by Guest »

I go with all this. Mine is also 3 headed, grows happily with water all year round and is a very handsome plant.

Mine was Doug Rowland seed.