First Spring Flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David_L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: First Spring Flowers

Post by David_L »

Hi Bob S
Interesting plant, it might be the angle of the photo but I'm not sure it's pure T. pseudopectinatus. Could be a hybrid, for instance valdezianus albiflorus X pseudopectinatus. Any chance of another picture showing the body?
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Are your Turbis the first flowerers? It's my Mamms which come into flower first, every year. Maybe they are more mature than my Turbis, even though they do flower each year, but with a fair number now in flower the gap in timing is quite obvious.
My valdezianus is well in bud, but its probably got a couple of weeks ot go yet.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Mammilaria sanchez-mejoradae won the race in my greenhouse, though several Turbs are close.The cold spell will hold things back now.
[attachment 2634 Mammillaria_sanchez_mejoradae.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEABALCwsMCxAMDBAXDw0PFxsUEBAUGx8XFxcXFx8eFxoaGhoXHh4jJSclIx4vLzMzLy9AQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEABEQ8PERMRFRISFRQRFBEUGhQWFhQaJhoaHBoaJjAjHh4eHiMwKy4nJycuKzU1MDA
2wCEABALCwsMCxAMDBAXDw0PFxsUEBAUGx8XFxcXFx8eFxoaGhoXHh4jJSclIx4vLzMzLy9AQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEABEQ8PERMRFRISFRQRFBEUGhQWFhQaJhoaHBoaJjAjHh4eHiMwKy4nJycuKzU1MDA (98.29 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
David

Bromley Branch
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

Hi Chris, My Turbinicarpus are the first flowers of the year for me as they alwasy are. However, many Mammillaria are in bud, but none have opened yet.
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
Bob S
Registered Guest

Post by Bob S »

Hi David Here is a picture of thr body, what do you think? I bought the plant at Pete & Kens years ago.
[attachment 2636 pseudo2Medium.jpg]
Attachments
gAAABABAgApAAAAFAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQBaWxoBBQABAAAAPgEAABsBBQABAAAARgEAACgBAwABAAAAAgDX4jIBAgAUAAAATgEAABMCAwABAAAAAgA1PWmHBAABAAAAagEAAAGkAwABAAAAAADVuwKkAwABAAAAAADPywOkAwABAAAAAADFyASkBQABAAA
gAAABABAgApAAAAFAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQBaWxoBBQABAAAAPgEAABsBBQABAAAARgEAACgBAwABAAAAAgDX4jIBAgAUAAAATgEAABMCAwABAAAAAgA1PWmHBAABAAAAagEAAAGkAwABAAAAAADVuwKkAwABAAAAAADPywOkAwABAAAAAADFyASkBQABAAA (64.94 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Bob S
Medway Towns BCSS
Bob S
Registered Guest

Post by Bob S »

Hi David Here is a picture of thr body, what do you think? I bought the plant at Pete & Kens years ago.
[attachment 2638 pseudo2Medium.jpg]
Attachments
gAAABABAgApAAAAFAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQBaWxoBBQABAAAAPgEAABsBBQABAAAARgEAACgBAwABAAAAAgDX4jIBAgAUAAAATgEAABMCAwABAAAAAgA1PWmHBAABAAAAagEAAAGkAwABAAAAAADVuwKkAwABAAAAAADPywOkAwABAAAAAADFyASkBQABAAA
gAAABABAgApAAAAFAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQBaWxoBBQABAAAAPgEAABsBBQABAAAARgEAACgBAwABAAAAAgDX4jIBAgAUAAAATgEAABMCAwABAAAAAgA1PWmHBAABAAAAagEAAAGkAwABAAAAAADVuwKkAwABAAAAAADPywOkAwABAAAAAADFyASkBQABAAA (64.94 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Bob S
Medway Towns BCSS
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Body does look like pseudopectinatus. The flower is a bit unusual for pseudopectinatus, but this is a variable species and lots of hybrids have been created by Panarotto and others. Probably is pseudopectinatus.
David

Bromley Branch
Bob S
Registered Guest

Post by Bob S »

HI all. Ihave no Mammillaria's in flower only Turbs, but I did notice buds on this Fero macrodiscus.
[attachment 2640 100_0048Small.JPG]
Attachments
2mHBAABAAAASgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAADHTgKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAAAAAASkBQABAAAAQgEAAAWkAwABAAA
2mHBAABAAAASgEAAAGkAwABAAAAAADHTgKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAAAAAASkBQABAAAAQgEAAAWkAwABAAA (64.51 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Bob S
Medway Towns BCSS
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

99 pence from the local garden centre last year (no name tag)
flowering in the conservatory now :)
[attachment 2641 mamm7.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (89.15 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Nice sanchez David, I had a flower open on one of mine yesterday. Longiflora was also flowering.