HELP SPOTS

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
scousetigger
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

HELP SPOTS

Post by scousetigger »

HELP. I have just been to look at my cacti after their winter break and have found that 2 of them have orangy large spots. Some appear raised as well. What is wrong and is it catching?:S
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Re: HELP SPOTS

Post by scousetigger »

[attachment 2542 spots.jpg]
Attachments
4RQTRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4RQTRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (64.91 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

[attachment 2543 DSCF0023.jpg]
Attachments
4R4JRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4R4JRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (59.26 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Roy »

I think you have let them get too cold.
Member Bcss
Mal
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mal »

Yes, thats the answer toooo cold!!!!!! regards mal..
Mal. Aylesbury vale Bucks. cacti and succulents. T.S.G.member.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Yes definitely a spot of frost bite - blue cereus type cacti usually prefer warmer temps - 10C plus I'd presume.
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

Hi Scousetigger,

Don't despair too much about the orange spots on the two plants you supplied pix of. In fact Myrtillocactus geometrizans and Echinocactus grusonii are two of the best known culprits for developing these orange marks if they suffer too much cold. Unless the temperature dropped below freezing I doubt that either of the plants will die, but the marks themselves will never disappear completely.

This Myrtillocactus is widely used as a grafting stock on the continent and elsewhere, but it has never been too popular in the UK because of its dislike of cold temperatures -- this is partly because us UK growers tend to be more stingey regarding winter heat, whereas overseas growers seem more willing to provide a higher minimum winter temperature for their plants.
When I was in central Mexico (in the state of San Luis Potosi) I saw many 1000s of large, mature, multi-branched specimens of M. geometrizans that were completely dead -- there had been some colder than usual weather the previous year, with sub-zero temperatures, and these plants in some areas were almost totally wiped out!

Echinocactus grusonii seems to be particularly sensitive to the cold as a young plant, and develops these orange marks very easily. It seems to me that they are slightly less sensitive as they get older.

David Neville
Southampton & District BCSS
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.

Post by Guest »

I have a 6'branched geometrizans v grandiareolatus free to a good home.

S Herts. and will need collecting.

Any tAkers?

Mike.