Getting too big for its boots!  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Getting too big for its boots!

Post by Ernie »

The informed members of the forum will know this plant as
Beaucarnea (Nolina) Recurvata.

Common name Pony Tail plant and sometimes seen for sale in garden centres.

The one you see was one of a batch of 6 tiny seedlings I found in my local Asda store in the mid 1990's. I bought the entire tray because I figured Mr average would not buy what looked like a lump of grass.

Over the years the all grew at different rates and got moved around from inside the house to the greenhouse and back again depending on what I could get away with from the 'Boss'

Recently I sold several large ones to Roy Mottram to go into his own display glass house (not for resale)

The one pictured has been moved into the garden on a daily basis for the past 4 weeks. At bedtime it goes back into the dinning room(Not much room left in there!)

This plant will be kept in the greenhouse next winter but there will come a time when it will become too big for its boots takeing up too much room.

I have shown this plant for the benefit of the avearge reader of this forum to show just how big these plants can grow- and dont forget this is still a baby in relative terms.
[attachment 2535 DSCN1890.JPG]
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Re: Getting too big for its boots!

Post by Maria J »

Flippin' heck! I've got one of those, and didn't realise they grew that big! It's on the lounge window sill and seems to like it there...
I bought it before my passion in C&S really took off, not even realising it was under that 'umbrella'. I've just had it as a houseplant for the last 4-5 years! :P
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Hi Maria. If you think that ones big you should see the two I sold to Roy Mottram!

Yours will outgrow the windowsill!

Listening to the news last night I had best not make it too obvious I have a likeing for 'grass' the comment could be misunderstood.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

If you think that's big then take a look at these:

[attachment 2536 IMG_5312.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHQAAAQQDAQEAAAA
8QAHQAAAQQDAQEAAAA (92.82 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

Another:

[attachment 2537 IMG_5341.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHQAAAQQDAQEAAAA
8QAHQAAAQQDAQEAAAA (93.61 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

They're not really the same plants are they Vic???? ::o
Do you have any pics of the ones Roy Mottram now had Ernie?
Maria

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

No I think they're gracilis Maria but recurvata will get as big if not bigger!
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

Any ideas as to how old they are?
Maria

Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Nice pictures Vic where were they taken. I agree they could be gracilis I have a small one.

Maria I would not worry I wont live long enough and although I dont know how old you are I doubt you will live long enough for the plants to become monsters like in the pictures posted by Vic. Grown in pots they can be restricted.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

This also is gracilis...and the guy standing beside this one is just over 6ft. The picture was taken west of Tehuacan, near the Puebla/Oaxaca border.
[attachment 2538 139-PICT1227.jpg]
Attachments
bAIQAEg4ODhAOFRAQFR4TERMeIxoVFRojIhgYGhgYIiceIiEhIh4nJy4wMzAuJz4+QUE
bAIQAEg4ODhAOFRAQFR4TERMeIxoVFRojIhgYGhgYIiceIiEhIh4nJy4wMzAuJz4+QUE (57.5 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html