You know she loves you................

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

You know she loves you................

Post by Bill »

.....when not only does she not moan about you potting up plants in the house, but she says do you need some more diddy pots, I said yes and she goes out in the wet and dark across the muddy lane to the potting shed and gets me some more. What a sweet heart :)

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Colin Walker
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: You know she loves you................

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Bill,

You ARE being spoilled!
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I knew my beloved really loved me when she did not complain about me scratch building a 5' long model of Donald Campbells K7 Bluebird on the Dinning room table where its been for nearly 12 months! (Its powered by a real jet engine) Its almost finished so we may get to use the table again soon.

Elaine also put up with me potting up plants in the kitchen. I think she should have a RHS medal!!
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

and Alison!

Not a murmur at the loss of our dining room for the winter while I repotted pretty much my entire collection!
Today (and many other days) she opened the greenhouses up when it got warm and she also turns on fans opens vents etc in summer.
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Some else we have in common Ernie, model making. When I was a house husband I used to buld dolls houses to pass the time not the kind for kids, these were for collectors, we are talking four figure sums::o . Any way I used to build them in the workshop, and then bring them in and use the dining room table to do the decorating.

One day I was finishing a particularly large house when I noticed No 1 daughter (14 months old) had gone very quite, big clue at that age they are either sleeping or it means trouble. And this was with a capital T, she had gone to the kitchen and found the tin of black gloss, which of course I hadn't shut properly. Guess what it's much easier to clean gloss paint of a vinyl floor than a screaming child. ::o

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

I know what you are saying re the value of quality models. I have seen some very expensive dolls houses, excellent works of art.

The K7 I have built is currently insured for ?10,000.

I have worked my way through all the famous holders of the world water speed record. Many of them are on various webb sites in the UK and America. I do get a little worried at having them at home because the lowest valued one is ?2500.(Segraves Miss England 11) The auction house Christies is very good at providing values for these models.

I like the paint story! bet that did not happen again.

Just a thought; my boats are locked away in a house thats as secure as fort knox but I bet many of us have plant collections that are worth well into four figures if not more!
Bill

Post by Bill »

[quote=Ernie]I like the paint story! bet that did not happen again.

Just a thought; my boats are locked away in a house thats as secure as fort knox but I bet many of us have plant collections that are worth well into four figures if not more![/quote]

Here is the evidence :D :
[attachment 2532 Kath_G.jpg]
I would say probably much more, I have about 6-700 Haworthia alone and maybe 4-500 other plants. I consider myself lucky I live in the middle of no where and there is always someone here, It would concern me alittle if I lived in a more built-up area.
Attachments
8A
8A (92.3 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Heheh!! Bill, it could have been much worse. Haworthias covered in black glossy paint. (td)

I do potting on the draining board, or outside if it's nice enough.

I made a few Star Trek Enterprises but that's as far as my patience went.

And as for the dining table - it spends most of the time covered in small furry creatures, which need to be relocated at mealtimes, not without getting that Middle Claw Look. I can imagine any model ending up mohair. :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

.......so you used to have your hair long at one time Bill?X(
I just used to build large radio controlled gliders on the kitchen table.
Member Bcss
Bill

Post by Bill »

Used to grow bigger things in those days Julie, hardy Fuchsias still got about 20 or so.

Star Trek, table covered in small furry creatures :S got it, you must have tribbles (:D