Bill's not on his own - New Arrivals

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Julie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Bill's not on his own - New Arrivals

Post by Julie »

Pretty Astro, Trevor.

And a pseudolithos... :D keep us updated how it goes. I love them to bits but I don't dare get one.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Trevor
BCSS Member

Post by Trevor »

Hi Guys,

Colin, I thought they'd put everything these days into foetida, but really it looks nothing like foetida, different leaves, different stem, different colours - geez, I really hate "the name game" !

Maria, that's Euphorbia knuthii at the top left...

Julie, fingers crossed as this id my first attempt at Pseudo's. Pretty amazing even to be able to get them. I remember years ago they were a bit like the Holy Grail !! What's more I have some seed coming for some different species, so hopefully next season I'll have a bit of a collection !
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
pijaya
Registered Guest

Post by pijaya »

Hi Trevor
very nice selection of plants. I love the leaves of those D. lanceolata. I got a little seedling of that from a friend but still quite small. It is true everything now seems to be lumped into crispa/foetida complex. I keep many forms of Dorstenia and I'm in firm beleif that these can't possibly be all the same species, let alone varieties. There are too many variation in flowers, stems, leaves. I hope one day someone will have the time to study these little plants deeply.

see different Dorstenia forms:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... 8321UJfVMF
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pijaya,in Bangkok, Thailand :)Image
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Trevor,

The Dorstenia monograph by Berg & Hijman that I referred to in my D. hildebrandtii thread doesn't have a D. lanceolata anywhere, the nearest being D. crispa var. lancifolia and that's a another synonym anyway, so I reckon, mate, you've made this name up. So in my book this is just another form of D. foetida.

Just why DOES every different variant need a different name?:S
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Trevor
BCSS Member

Post by Trevor »

Nope, didn't make it up Colin, that's what it was sold as - even Pijaya has one under that name - maybe someone has just tagged it with that and somehow it's stuck with some sellers. I agree that it's not a valid name and the plant is most likely (the formerly known as) crispa v. lancifolia, but it really bares very little outwards resemblance to average foetida/crispa.

Maybe we'll all end up labelling plants with something like "Dorstenia foetida, from 50 km's north of the one on the other shelf" or maybe "Dorstenia foetida, but the one with long silver leaves and dark stem"

I'm gunna need bigger labels :P
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Thanks Trevor!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Trevor,

I was admiring Chief Mod's Dorstenias today. Tina has one labelled D. crispa v. lancifolia that has attractively marked leaves too. Forgotten Tina what your other one was labelled, but hey, as I said, they're both just D. foetida, and that name saves on the ink. :)
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University