Good Article - good site

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
CactusChris
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Good Article - good site

Post by CactusChris »

This is a good site and has some good info -
one here:

http://www.cactiguide.com/article/?article=article6.php

Best regards

Chris
BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Colin Walker
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Good Article - good site

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Chris,

Yes indeed.

I've just checked Tunilla and I think the plant I received as Opuntia "hintonii", that's an invalid name as far as I can tell, is actually Tunilla corrugata.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Excellent site! Thanks Chris!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

You may notice a few familiar names - this is the case with all forums - but they do have some nice ideas (ripe for borrowing) like a photo competition (which I lost to a cracking picture), and have a different 'kind' of discussion to this forum. I guess it takes all sorts.

Best regards

Chris

Post by Guest »

I wasn't too taken by the lead article "is cultivation conservation?"
which, if you take it to its logical conclusion, would mean that none of us would cultivate cacti at all as he seems to argue against even seed collection. If seed had never been collected there would be no plants to grow.

Seems an extreme view to me but I accept that conservation is absolutely vital.
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Hi Mike,
I see what you mean - and I think that some of what we do in the greenhouses is conservation - but in truth I think it is more about preservation - and preservation of a small gene pool. I think that some reasonable seed removal does not statistically damage the populations - nor I think does removal of small amounts of cutting material - especially if that material is used for 'active' propagation and distribution. The really important bit in it is about how easily habitats are damaged by the act of plant removal - or even simply walking over the terrain. Where the terrain is so inhospitable that only a few plants can survive if the area is damaged (by digging say) it is going to take a very long time for any recovery - and as shown by damage from grazing animals such as goats the original species may never re-establish.

Anyway - food for thought.

Best regards

Chris
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

[quote=You may notice a few familiar names - this is the case with all forums - but they do have some nice ideas (ripe for borrowing) like a photo competition (which I lost to a cracking picture), and have a different 'kind' of discussion to this forum. I guess it takes all sorts.]CactusChris[/quote]

hi Chris there are a few of us who frequent both forums, cactiguide has a different feel to it mainly because the membership is from all over the world, and the software used is different.
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hi

Interesting article. Thanks Chris.

We did have a photo competition, some time ago, which went quite well.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Hmmmmm?

Check out the 'cacti or not' section, with a magenta flowered lithops!::o

or should I say Ophthalmophyllum AKA Conophytum. Looks like the contributors are clearly only interested in cacti and not much else on this site.8-)
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

BrianMc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Looks like the contributors are clearly only
> interested in cacti and not much else on this
> site.8-)

after being here for a couple of months i would suggest that the opposite is true here

therefore both sites have their merits..... i will speak to Daiv about correcting that reference.
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england