Shading seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
tony_lb
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Shading seedlings

Post by tony_lb »

I've just got my first batches of seedlings up (Lobivia mainly). Now, the books say plenty of light but no direct sunlight. They're mainly on a windowsill and I've been using some old letters to provide a bit of shadow when the sun shines, but I would guess that makes it a bit dark.

I was wondering what would be the best way to shade the poor little things. What about a piece of muslin - cuts the direct sunlight while letting most light through? I'm sure I can borrow (nick) a bit from my wife.

Tony 8-)
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Shading seedlings

Post by iann »

Newspaper.
Cheshire, UK
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

Newspaper's good, I have used it a lot in the past. Kitchen towel is also good. In the greenhouse I use horticultural fleece as it can be easily folded to give different levels of shading.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Tony, I have some of those mesh shades with suckers on which are made for car windows (from Poundland). They work well with shading the Forbies, no more corking has occurred. Not sure if they would be strong enough for seedlings though.

They have the advantage that you can remove them easily when the sun sets, when it's cloudy or just when you want to see out of the window. :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Aloenut »

Hi All,

I use that plastic sheeting that is sold as greenhouse shading to shade my Conophytums over the summer. It has holes in it, so lets in a bit of sunshine but keeps a good bit off too. I have also used horticultural fleece in the past.

Aloenut
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I use a white plastic carrier bag cut open but muslin or net curtain would be good. My seedlings are under a light, not subject to sunshine, so you will have to tailor the shading to the amount of light. If the seedlings turn red they need more shade.

By the way Tony, are your seeds from the BCSS distribution and do you have Lobivia ferox? Unfortunately none of mine germinated.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.

Post by Guest »

I have also used white carrier bags spilit down the seams so there was one thickness.
tony_lb
Registered Guest

Post by tony_lb »

Phil Hocking Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> By the way Tony, are your seeds from the BCSS
> distribution and do you have Lobivia ferox?
> Unfortunately none of mine germinated.
>
> Somerset Phil

Thanks for all the help.

The seeds came from Doug and Viv Rowland, their selection of 10 Lobivia for ?3. Lobivia Ferox was there, and I'm pleased to say that one has finally germinated today 18 days after they were sown. Whether more will come up only time will tell. I must say I'm pleased with the seeds I got. Of 18 sown on 17 Feb, 16 have now germinated, in most cases with a lot of seedlings. Mainly Lobivia with a scattering of others like Neochilenia.

Now to get them to survive!

Tony
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Good luck Tony, I hope they do well for you. I have kept some of my zero germination pots from last year, some of which I have put outside for several weeks. I have now put them in a propagator to see if anything will happen. This morning I found that I had overlooked a few pots in the corner of the spare room, and in one pot there was a solitary Eriosyce crispa bravely making an appearance. I have put those pots back in the propagator too. So I won't give up on my Lobivia ferox yet. All are in sealed sandwich bags by the way.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Treat 'em mean etc!

Amazing how they know what's going on outside before they deign to pop a root out.

I guess shells are not solid but have pores? Hmm.. why has this never occured to me before?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.