BCSS home page

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: BCSS Home Page

Post by Tina »

Yes, Alan is quite nice isn't he(:P)
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Re: BCSS home page

Post by CactusChris »

Hi Bob,
Interesting discussion. My comments about conservation have been summarised and sent to the various committes (via a friendly messenger). Having said that if the society believes that open critisism of its policies is unacceptable then I suggest this describes why the problem has arisen. No - I'm not moaning about the minutes - but at least publishing them has allowed us to see what is being said.

Hi Ernie - good idea - choice could be better. I think we need someone with a more lasting, serious note to them, saaay..... Prince Charles - he knows how to lead a challenge don't you think.
;-)

Best regards

chris
BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

TO be quite honest the more I think about this the more annoyed I about it, no doubt they would say there is a time and place for moans and criticisms and forum is not it, well where does that leave people like me who have no other contact with the organisation, to attend my local branch would mean 1/2 day off work, come to the AGM, yeh that's 300 mile round trip and a weekend away.

Personally at the end of day I don't see that there is anything particularly problematic with anything that's posted on here and it's our organisation, we pay for it and we should be able to have our say without being labelled as moaners, even if we are wrong.

And for what is worth I do know what it's like to be in the hot seat as such having been secretary and chairman of a National Craft group consisting of over 800 businesses and believe you me c&s growers are a bunch of pussy cats in comparison.

Well that's left me open for another slapping X(

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Bill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This gives an even worse impression!
>
>
> As you saying Phil and I are wrong to comment on
> criticisms of the forum particularly when they are
> unjust, Julie.
>
> If you look at the 100 newest threads I don't
> think you'll find one of the nature mentioned by
> David K. Over 75% of his words are critical when I
> bet you won't find 1% of the posts being on the
> nature he mentions.

I mean the thingy quoted gives an even worse impression.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Sorry Julie, if I got the wrong end of the stick ;)

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

No worries, Bill. :)-D
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
bcss
BCSS Publications & Web Manager
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Website Administrator

Post by bcss »

I have checked the BCSS minutes and find that somehow between my receiving them and uploading them they were converted to a WorPerfect format. I have now fixed this, although actually Wordperfect 5.1 is an excellent exchange format for simple text documents as most software can read it. The minutes are produced in Word and distributed this way by email to members of the F&GP, branch secretaries and others. So that most people can read them they are saved in an fairly old version of Word which most people can read. Going to the latest versions of Office/Word would leave many people unable to read them because of Microsoft backwards incompatibility problems.

I don't think any BCSS official is actually provided with Word processing software by the Society and with one or two special exceptions the officials use their own computers and software bought out their own pockets. This is certainly so in may case. The two main exceptions are the computer which holds the primary Society membership database and some of the computing equipment used to produce the journal together with the very expensive Quark publishing software needed to produce the output for the journal to be sent to the printers.
Tony Mace
Publications Manager
bcss
BCSS Publications & Web Manager
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Website Administrator

Post by bcss »

Ernie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looking at this from a down to earth point of view
> and applying the people factor; I suggest there
> will be officials in the BCSS who dont like the
> forum simply because its a vehicle for members to
> make adverse comments about the society or those
> running it. Its not so easy for everyone to travel
> great distances to an AGM where concerns can be
> raised therefore the forum is very usefull for
> that purpose.That said any comments must be
> supported by facts, be logical, intelligent and
> not attacking a personality.Negative vitriol
> serves no purpose.

The main problem is that the Forum carries no guarantee as to the writers identity, so we have no idea if the comments are being made by a member or non-member. In its present form we cannot therefore place much, if any weight on such comments. Only comments and votes at the Executive by official delegates and at AGM meetings by members carry weight. If you cannot be there then you need to brief your Branch or Zone representative to make sure they know your views and present them at the meeting or put your points in writing to the Society Secretary.

It is unfortunate that the slow decline in attendance at the Executive meetings have resulted in fewer people knowing how the Society actually works. This decline is also unhelpful in keeping the officials informed of members views, although many of the F&GP are very active on the speakers circuit, judging list etc and do get round to many Branches during the year. Many of us are also doubling up as Branch and Zone officials as well.
>
> I hope that the majority of the illuminart'e
> support the forum and thus dismiss the ill
> informed comments of those who may see it as a
> challenge to their positions or harmfull to the
> society
>

I certainly see the Forum as a good developement for the Society.

> The vast amount of information being exchanged on
> here recently is fantatsic and a very good advert
> for the society.

Agreed there are some good threads at the moment.
Tony Mace
Publications Manager
Bill

Post by Bill »

[quote=BCSS]The main problem is that the Forum carries no guarantee as to the writers identity, so we have no idea if the comments are being made by a member or non-member. In its present form we cannot therefore place much, if any weight on such comments. Only comments and votes at the Executive by official delegates and at AGM meetings by members carry weight. If you cannot be there then you need to brief your Branch or Zone representative to make sure they know your views and present them at the meeting or put your points in writing to the Society Secretary.[/quote]

I don't think it would be that hard to identify those who are members and those who are not.

As I have already said I don't have access to a branch, so that's not an option. Despite what I have said about the distance etc to the AGM I am considering attending, but I have to make considerable arrangements to be away from home, so it's not very helpful to have to wait until the journal comes out on the 20th of March to actually found out what the details are, hardly a way to encourage people to attend, what's wrong with putting the details on the Events page.

Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

And what happens if the Journal is late and not out in time to decide ?
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/