BCSS home page

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
CactusChris
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: BCSS home page

Post by CactusChris »

Why not ask BCSS members to add their branch to their signature - this would help also when someone comments on say local weather or local nurseries. Non-BCSS members couls just a a location.

Best regards

Chris
BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

Hi Chris that sounds a good idea(tu)
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

How do those of you that have a 'picture' in your signatures get it there please?? I tried to copy & paste one into mine, but it wasn't having any of it!!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Hi Maria

Mine is hosted on my own server space and then there is an link to the image in my signature. It's the only AFAIK, other wise you can't put pics in your post. So you either need your own server webspace, a photobucket account or a nice friendly person who will host it for you.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Ah right! I did wonder; thanks Bill! :D
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

As someone who has not been keeping up-to-date with forum discussions for several months, I must admit to not knowing fully what has happened recently to cause some heated debates over the Forum versus the F&GP Committee.
However, I served on the F&GP for a period of 9 years (1 year as BCSS Vice-Chairman, and 8 years as Journal Editor) - and it was during that time of course that the forum was set-up by Tony Mace with help and advice from others. Everyone on the F&GP was 100 per cent in favour of setting up the forum, and in promoting its uptake.
Although the number of active forum members is not high, the number of registered users is more encouraging and there must many more people who read the discussions without ever 'signing up'.
With a high percentage of new members joining the BCSS via the Internet, everyone is in full agreement that the BCSS online presence is highly important to the Society.
I have been a member of the Society for 30 years, and throughout that time there have been occasional comments from members implying that the Officials of the Society and/or the members of the Finance & General Purposes Committee are out of touch with the feelings or wishes of 'ordinary members'. What these comments fail to take into account is that virtually every official that has ever held a post in the society has also been an active participant in their own local branch (and in fact, most have been actively serving on their branch committee). This certainly applies to the current crop of officials and F&GP members, most of whom work tirelessly at a local level as well as fulfilling their national responsibilities.
Let's all hope that after recent hiccups, we can all work together constructively from now on to ensure that the recent slight increase in membership can be maintained and increased over the coming months and years.

David Neville - Southampton & District Branch
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.