Passing of Dr Lau

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Passing of Dr Lau

Post by iann »

Ernest Rusch has a genus of several hundred plants name after him, but I think Lau wins out on the sheer quality of the species name fro him ;)
Cheshire, UK
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

[size=medium]Hi Ian,

I'm going to be my usual pedantic self here, since Nick's question was specifically about CACTI named after people, so here Ernest Rusch doesn't count, since as far as I'm aware no CACTUS was named for this guy. So I very deliberately didn't consider folk who'd had plants OTHER THAN cacti named for them. :S[/size]
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Pilosocereus brasiliensis ssp. ruschianus? Or was that a different Rusch? Maybe there was a whole family of them touring around looking for plants :)
Cheshire, UK
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

[size=medium]Hi Ian,

Father and son Rusch (of Ruschia and Ruschianthus fame) were Southern African (Namibian) collectors, so the Pilosocereus commemorates someone else - no idea who.[/size]
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Bob S
Registered Guest

Post by Bob S »

We were sad to hear of the passing of Dr Alfred Lau. Rob & I met him at Bromley in the early 80s.His talks were very good. We got his autograph as a keepsake.
Bob S
Medway Towns BCSS
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

If anyone is interested, there are a few nice photos of Dr Lau in a thread on cactuspro:
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!