Edithcolea grandis  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Edithcolea grandis

Post by Guest »

Does anybody out there grow this successfully? I have no problem with germinating seed (even 3 year old seed germinates) and growing it on for the first year but how do you get it through winter? I have tried warm, I have tried very warm, I have kept it dry, I have watered it. Still it capitulates.

Last years seedlings are just on the verge of waving goodbye to me.

Mike.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Edithcolea grandis

Post by Aloenut »

Mike,

I have lost a few plants in the greenhouse over the years. They do well in summer but invariably rot in winter.
Last summer I got a plant from Specks and kept this one indoors. So far it seems ok. No water and the brightest windowsill available.

Aloenut

Post by Guest »

I think that you could do this with a larger plant but I have tried it inside on a souith facing window without water but then it seems to shrivel up and die.

Mike.
David
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Zone Rep

Post by David »

I had a plant in 2005 which was apparently healthy until we went away for a week at New Year. When we came back it was clearly a goner. That week happened to be the coldest of the winter, but the temperature in that greenhouse did not fall below 11C. The plant had not been watered since September. I concluded that it had needed an even higher winter temperature, but Herts Mike says that he tried very warm so I just don't know.

David.
Trevor
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Edithcolea grandis  Solved

Post by Trevor »

There was a discussion about Edithcolea on one of the stapeliad groups a while back and a few people were saying that it appears to like lots of warmth and above all lots of humidity. Success stories involved growing it in hothouses with Orchids and in a PET bottle hanging outside over a lake in Brazil where the climate resembles that of the Amazon rainforest!
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
SteveH
Registered Guest

Post by SteveH »

Mike
I tried this last year, I got 10 seeds from Doug and Vivi Rowland, 6 germinated.
This pic is March 2006.
[attachment 2452 edith1.jpg]
that was the easy bit, they had probably adverse conditions being sown in multi purpose compost with no added drainage. I agree that humidity seems to be a key factor with the Ascleps, also last year I put a couple of mature Hoodias in my propagator and within 2 weeks fresh green growth appeared on the crowns.
I potted my Edithcoleas when they were very small (because of an infestation of compost flies) into standard cactus mix.
I'll post a current pic on the next thread as I'm being told I've reached my max no of attachments
cont........
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (63.56 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
SteveH
Registered Guest

Post by SteveH »

this was taken today
[attachment 2453 edith2.jpg]
They have been overwintered on a sunny windowsill and I give them a tiny amount of water every 2 weeks as previously I've kept all my Asclep seedlings dry in the winter and have found they go into a terminal shrivel which no amount of spring watering reverses. I have to admit that I'm amazed I haven't lost a single seedling and can't profess to know the 'secret' of keeping them alive as I haven't given them any more special treatment than any of my other plants, but there's still a long way to go, they could just as easily keel over.
steve
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (49.43 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
Trevor
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Trevor »

Mighty fine success rate Steve, keeping all 6 going. I've yet to see an Edithcolea plant in the flesh down here, but I'm hoping to try some seed next season. If I can get 6 plants like that I'd be chuffed !

Good work!
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.

Post by Guest »

You've done well Steve to get them that far. As I say, I have no problem germinating them (I have 6 up at present this year) and growing them on.

My south facing window is in the bathroom so it would get some winter humidity. I will try them there again plus a little water as you have done.

Mike.
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

Presume you could graft them - would that make things easier?

I`ve only had attempt at grafting stapeliads - that was Caralluma defersiana onto S. flavirostris. Graft never did anything though - mind you it didnt die either!

Anyone had any better luck with grafting of Staps?
Nick