eBay greenhouses

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ewen
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: eBay greenhouses

Post by Ewen »

Ian, the drill is for those unsuspected bolts that won't budge and it also doubles as a power driver to remove the rest of them. Bill, I bet you didn't have to drive from Glasgow to Oban, dismantle a greenhouse that had been onsite for a number of years, untangle the electrics that had been bodged, load a large hire van in such a way that you didn't break all the glass, drive back to Glasgow, unload the greenhouse with a 50 metre walk to where it was being stored and then finally return the hire van. :)o

Fun and games when you have to move something made of glass but all in a days work. :)-D
Ewen
BCSS Glasgow
Bridge of Weir - Scotland U.K.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Ahh Ewen you gave the impression it was only the dismantling and loading that took all day, my apologies, that means it took you more like 1/2 day to dismantle and 1/2 day driving. ::o

It took me a bit more than 2.5 hrs if you take into account the 2.5 hrs round trip and the unloading etc ;)

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Just a thought, folks - would it not be worth the extra few quid to just have a new one delivered to your garden?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Hi Julie, as ever it does depend, I think, and it may not be a few quid!
I was lucky and bought a cedar Alton greenhouse on eBay last year, 4 years old, and it was just 15% of the new price. Even after the hire charges for the lorry, it was still only 18%, with the savings running well into 4 figures, so I know it can be worth it. But if there not too much in it, I'd agree with you.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Bill

Post by Bill »

Julie, my two Elite Belmonts would have cost nearly ?1,000 new, even allowing for my time at the same rate the NHS pay me, replacing broken glass, missing bolts etc and fuel costs of collecting them they cost about ?450.00 in total, that's ?550 that I can spend on plants instead.:D

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Julie, it does depend. Renting a van, travelling some distance, replacing a lot of glass and bits, putting in vents and staging, and still ending up with a greenhouse that would be less than ?500 new, might not be worth it.

But if you have suitable transport already, have an excess of time (rather than an excess of money), get a decent greenhouse for next to nothing with auto-vents, staging, maybe a base or some foundation materials, then it is certainly worth it. I found two greenhouses this spring, for free, transported them in existing cars (here's a tip - very long aluminium spars can be put in a convertible car!), and so am set up for the price of some glass and replacement bolts.

It is a lot of effort though, and if I was still contracting in London every day, I'd just shell out ?1,000 or two and have a new one erected for me ;)
Cheshire, UK
Bill

Post by Bill »

[quote=Ian]very long aluminium spars can be put in a convertible car![/quote]

Like a man with style Ian. (tu)

You can get a complete 8x12 in and on (roof rack) a Citroen Picasso and still have room for a passenger. (:P)

Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Julie
You can get some good bargains,my old robinson 20 x 10 cost me ?230 plus ?20 petrol ( borrowed works van:) ) & about ?40 on glass.
I dread to thnk of the new price but would guess aanother nought on the end.
It was easy to put together too as I left it to him indoors just regualar bacon sandwiches & tea breaks :P .
The only problem is I have no space & am wingeing for another G/H already
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Ewen
BCSS Member

Post by Ewen »

Have a look on eBay now, there is a 10ft x 24ft Robinsons. At the moment it's worth ?200. Contac Robinsons for a quote on a new one that size and you are probably over ?5k.

The other greenhouse link at the top of the posting shows a professional sized glasshouse. It's massive but think how much that would have cost new.
Ewen
BCSS Glasgow
Ewen
BCSS Member

Post by Ewen »

Just testing my signature. Seems that the new forum shows this as being off. Just switched it back on again so lets see if it worlks.
Ewen
BCSS Glasgow