Echeveria Lau 165

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Echeveria Lau 165

Post by MikeT »

I acquired a couple of Echeverias last year through the Sedum Society cuttings exchange, with the names Lau 165 & Lau 026. The collection numbers actually relate to cacti (Arequipa & Echinocereus according to Ralph Martin's Field Number Database on the Cactus mall site).
Googling for Echeveria Lau 026 gives E. subcorymbosa, but I can't find anything on Lau 165. Does anyone have any info on this? I'll add pics of both. 165 is bluer than the photo suggests.

Mike
Sheffield branch member, interest in cold hardy cacti

Post Edited (08-12-06 20:34)
Attachments
4T0tRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqwAAABsBBQABAAAAswAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAdAAAAuwAAADIBAgAVAAAA2AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAA7QAAAGmHBAABAAAA+AAAAMEDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20ASAAAAAEAAAB
4T0tRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqwAAABsBBQABAAAAswAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAdAAAAuwAAADIBAgAVAAAA2AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAA7QAAAGmHBAABAAAA+AAAAMEDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20ASAAAAAEAAAB (95.69 KiB) Viewed 4813 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Echeveria Lau 165

Post by MikeT »

Lau 26 = subcorymbosa

Post Edited (08-12-06 20:33)
Attachments
4SAQRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA
4SAQRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA (79.77 KiB) Viewed 4813 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

There's something bizzarre about Alfred Lau's numbers. Lau 26 in the database does, as you say, give Echinocereus brandegeei. I've been sorting/browsing some old journals today and remembered coming across a list of Lau numbers. I've re-found it (National Cactus and Succulent Journal 1980, 35(2), p.47-49) and that lists L026 as Mammilaria brandegeei, which is a real species. One or other must be an error, probably the NCSJ version? (Hard to say as both are supposed to come from Baja California, Mexico, which accompanies the NCSJ listing) What's doubly odd is that it only lists numbers 001 to 099 and 600 to 699. No mention is made of the intervening numbers (which would have been useful in the discussion of Echinopsis L400 a few weeks ago). The article does have the title "Alfred Lau Collection Numbers (1)" which does suggest there was a (2), but my copy is an oddment. Any longstanding NCSS/BCSS members got journals for Sept or Dec 1980 or 1981 who could help here? Not a single plant in the ranges listed is a non-cactus, so that's no help either.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

In Pilbeam Lau023 is Mammillaria brandegeei and there is no Lau026 for any Mammillaria species so I presume the database is correct. Sorry I can't help with the Echeveria.

John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

Twas I that compiled the list of Alfred Lau numbers way back in the late 1970s. On the list that I sent to the then editor of the Nat.Cactus and Suc.Journal Lau 026 is shown as Echinocereus Brandegeei from El Arco Baja California but the Journal showed it as Mam.Brandegeei from San Ignacio which was in fact Lau 023. Don't ask me why. Part 2 of the list was never published so there is no point in looking for it. Again I don't know why. The original list was sent to all importers of Lau's plants and was concocted by Alfred Lau himself.
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
iann
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

This may be of interest, it describes the same plant whatever we might make of the collection number.

Cheshire, UK
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Ooooo small world! Can you shed any light on why the numbers go 1-99 and then 600-699? And can we get any closer to identifying those Echeverias or L400? Were these in part (2)?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

All the Lau numbers up to Lau059 were collected in Baja California. I am not sure if this is of any use but this is a copy of the original list sent by Lau to importers
Attachments
4R0DRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgABwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAYgEbAAUAAAABAAAAagEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAcAAAAcgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAjodpAAQAAAABAAAApAAAANAALcbAAAAnEAAtxsAAACcQQWRvYmUgUGhvdG9zaG9wIENTMiBXaW5kb3dzADIwMDY6MDg6MTMgMDA6MjQ6NTM
4R0DRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgABwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAYgEbAAUAAAABAAAAagEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAcAAAAcgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAjodpAAQAAAABAAAApAAAANAALcbAAAAnEAAtxsAAACcQQWRvYmUgUGhvdG9zaG9wIENTMiBXaW5kb3dzADIwMDY6MDg6MTMgMDA6MjQ6NTM (96.62 KiB) Viewed 4813 times
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Rob »

I have a booklet of Lau numbers giving details of no's 1-1536.
in this 026 = "Echinocereus brandegeei,pink centre spines, El Arco,B.C."
& 165 = "Arequipa erectocylindrica,Caraveli, Peru" I have looked at a couple of other possibilities (1165 = a Mamm) with no joy yet.

I was AWOL at the time of the L400 thread! My booklet gives- " Echinopsis sp. (hamatacantha?), Entre Rios, Bolivia"

Hope this helps a bit!

Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Hi Rob,

1165 is (crinita) leucantha from Sierra de San Miguel, SLP