Pediocactus simpsonii seedlings after 2 years.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mark07
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Pediocactus simpsonii seedlings after 2 years.

Post by Mark07 »

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on the forums. But the growing season is upon us and things are springing to life in the greenhouse 😊.
These have a reputation for being tricky to grow but I’ve honestly found P. simpsonii to be one of the easiest to grow from seed. Mine are now 2 years old and doing well. Hoping for some flowers from this lot next year so I can make my own seed.
IMG_9424.jpeg
IMG_9425.jpeg
IMG_9426.jpeg
IMG_9428.jpeg
IMG_9427.jpeg
IMG_9429.jpeg
IMG_9430.jpeg
IMG_9431.jpeg
IMG_9432.jpeg
IMG_9434.jpeg
IMG_9435.jpeg
IMG_9436.jpeg
IMG_9437.jpeg
IMG_9438.jpeg
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Pediocactus simpsonii seedlings after 2 years.

Post by juster »

They look great, so interesting to see the variation, thanks for sharing (tu)
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

juster wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:13 pm They look great, so interesting to see the variation, thanks for sharing (tu)
Thanks Juster, the main bulk are mixed simpsonii seeds but even the ones with the same locality appear to have quite wide variation.

The flower colour variations will be interesting to see. I believe certain yellow flowering strains are only found on some Eastern slopes of Colorado with the majority of Southern facing specimens being shades of pink.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I agree, easy from seed. Not so easy as adults though. They can take five or more years to reach flowering size, but good displays once they get going. Pediocactus except for P. simpsonii are much more tricky, but they flower younger.
indraianus-0405.jpg
knowltonii-0412.jpg
Attachments
peeblesianus-0419.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Mark07
BCSS Member

Post by Mark07 »

iann wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:02 pm I agree, easy from seed. Not so easy as adults though. They can take five or more years to reach flowering size, but good displays once they get going. Pediocactus except for P. simpsonii are much more tricky, but they flower younger.
indraianus-0405.jpgknowltonii-0412.jpg
Lovely plants Iann (tu)

I have P. knowltonii from seed as well and found them quite easy. I’ve not tried any other Pediocactus yet but did try a few Sclerocactus and quite a few germinated but in the end most succumbed to dampening off shortly afterwards.