Habitat-style staging

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SimonT
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Habitat-style staging

Post by SimonT »

There is Hypertufa -made out of cement, sand and peat. Of course you'd might have to swap the peat for something similar.
I remember making containers out of this years ago- over time the cement component settles down and does not leach too much.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Paul in Essex wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:34 pm It's been a while since I looked for any but last time it was all but impossible to get tufa anywhere and, secondhand, it was staggeringly expensive.
It doesn’t surprise me, last time I bought a large chunk of tufa to make a tufa garden was around 1980 from Ingwersens nursery…
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

SimonT wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:42 pm There is Hypertufa -made out of cement, sand and peat. Of course you'd might have to swap the peat for something similar.
I remember making containers out of this years ago- over time the cement component settles down and does not leach too much.
I’ve got a couple of home made troughs made from hypertufa. Good for troughs but not much good for a naturalistic planting
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Ali Baba wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:14 pm
edds wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:07 pm
Ali Baba wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:52 am Tufa is good for growing plants in directly as it allows water to percolate through. It’s used a lot in alpine gardening. There are some nice examples at Kew. If you can find some it would be worth experimenting with
Tufa is very soft and alkaline though - not sure some of my plants would like that. An Agave utahensis eborispina in one might look good though!
You can grow lime hating alpines in it if I recall correctly, I don’t think it releases much calcium.
If you're watering enough you would wash a lot of any dissolved carbonates out but I'd be wary with things that get less water at times.
It would also depend on your planting medium and fertiliser choice as there's plenty of carbonates in the rock. I have a few smaller pieces around from an old reef tank and it is very soft stuff, certainly would be easy to chisel out a planting pocket.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

I'm using Yorkstone simply because I have an abundance of it in my garden. Rock is expensive! :smile:

Here's another staging I did today. A tiny ariocarpus retusus robustus that I bought from Tina.
Screenshot_20240407-150246~2.png
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

greatnorthernexotic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:51 pm I'm using Yorkstone simply because I have an abundance of it in my garden. [...]
I wish someone would be selling less than a tonne of it... Maybe it's time for a join order of Yorkstone?
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Find a local stone merchants - you can usually pop along and pick your own rocks.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

edds wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:17 pm Find a local stone merchants - you can usually pop along and pick your own rocks.
That might actually work, I have already found one stating they supply Yorkstone.
Mat
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

What other rock types available in the UK might be worth trying? I'd really like to plant an aztekium vertically in some gypsum.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

greatnorthernexotic wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:41 pm What other rock types available in the UK might be worth trying? I'd really like to plant an aztekium vertically in some gypsum.
Don't just worry about UK types - you can even get some fantastic stuff that's been imported.
My local stone merchants (https://www.cedstone.co.uk/) once had some massive pieces of this holey rock, https://hugokamishi.com/shop/brown-holey-rock/.
Ed

BCSS member 53038