Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr 23/9/2023 - the photographs

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr 23/9/2023 - the photographs

Post by Stuart »

I wouldn't like to do a branch talk with no interruptions, I almost encourage it, much better than speaking in silence.

The BCSS is having good success with joint ventures with the RHS - Bridgewater, Wisley and Hyde Hall - good lively events with high attendance numbers, the few photos from Harlow Carr that show the surroundings show very few people in the background. Were the public allowed in during judging / photography or were the photos just taken at a quiet time? Are there any photos of the whole show?

Stuart
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Re: Autumn Cactus and Succulent Show at RHS Harlow Carr 23/9/2023 - the photographs

Post by Patrick »

As somebody with no interruptions to make I enjoy all the interruptions about these photos, makes it very interesting, really informative about judging etc, keep them coming from my perspective
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

Patrick wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:55 pm As somebody with no interruptions to make I enjoy all the interruptions about these photos, makes it very interesting, really informative about judging etc, keep them coming from my perspective
If it is on key, no problem.

But I can relate with el48tel on some chatter. In the "Updated seed lists" thread for example, occasionally there is a chat in between all the update notifications about things not really related to the seeds lists and seed ordering. Discussion on CITES could creep in, or growing advises. It is easy to start another thread for that and stick to the topic at hand in a thread, if there is a specific topic. Otherwise the main topic of the thread might get swamped with unrelated things, and will make the thread a bit useless.
TraceyM
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by TraceyM »

Stuart wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:07 am I was going to mention that Titanopsis is OK in this class as it's part of the Nananthus subgroup but it comes under one of the banned categories for comments so maybe I shouldn't. I'd been trying to spot what might be the best cactus, my guess is the Mamm Crucigera, haven't seen anything that might be best succulent yet so that's probably still to come.

Stuart
Copiapoa solaris was best cactus in show. (class 5)

Adromischus nanus was best succulent in show (class 29)

There were also 6 Awards of Merit:
Class 5 Copiapoa cinerea
Class 17 Matucana weberbaueri
Class 20 Notocactus magnificus (the amazing 50 year old plant which was admired by hundreds of people on the day, including my mum who had gone to make refreshments, and knows nothing about cactus.
Class 26 Agave Victoria regina
Class 32 Pachyphytum oviferum
Class 50 Unusual container
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

TraceyM wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:59 am
Stuart wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:07 am I was going to mention that Titanopsis is OK in this class as it's part of the Nananthus subgroup but it comes under one of the banned categories for comments so maybe I shouldn't. I'd been trying to spot what might be the best cactus, my guess is the Mamm Crucigera, haven't seen anything that might be best succulent yet so that's probably still to come.

Stuart
Copiapoa solaris was best cactus in show. (class 5)

Adromischus nanus was best succulent in show (class 29)

There were also 6 Awards of Merit:
Class 5 Copiapoa cinerea
Class 17 Matucana weberbaueri
Class 20 Notocactus magnificus (the amazing 50 year old plant which was admired by hundreds of people on the day, including my mum who had gone to make refreshments, and knows nothing about cactus.
Class 26 Agave Victoria regina
Class 32 Pachyphytum oviferum
Class 50 Unusual container
Thanks Tracey. I was going to refer to the stats which are to appear in an article in CW but I know that not all posters are members and so would not see it
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

The Copiapoa Solaris was a well-deserved winner, Colin Norton used to have a row of six of them, all in nice clusters and probably imports, but it's rare to see a plant nowadays with more than a single head. I can't remember when I last saw one for sale apart from a few small grafts. I don't think I've seen it flower in cultivation so the chances of finding genuine seed must be near zero.
I hadn't thought about the Adromischus Nanus, good luck with repotting that one!

Stuart.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

33 - 1.jpg
33 - 2.jpg
33 - 3.jpg
34 - 1.jpg
34 - 2.jpg
34 - 3.jpg
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Roger ferryman has flowered copiapoa solaris, not sure anyone else has. Probably boring yellow flowers :lol:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

35 - 1.jpg
35 - 2.jpg
35 - 3.jpg
36 - 1.jpg
36 - 2.jpg
36 - 3.jpg
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Thanks Terry. That's a great Haworthia maughanii.
Ed

BCSS member 53038