New Greenhouse update work ongoing

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
penforpen
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

New Greenhouse update work ongoing

Post by penforpen »

Hi there,

I have completed the base for my greenhouse for people to view it has been delivered today

Due to be put up next week I wanted some advice on where to place my four louver windows I don’t think it makes sense to have them
All low both sides can others leave there configuration thanks

Base only
[img]
IMG_6403.jpeg
Berkhamstead Branch Hertfordshire Zone 6 Area
Committee Member & Berkhamstead & Show Secretary
BCSS Number 42673
10x8 Greenhouse, Small Collection of Slow Growing Cacti Along with Succulents and a few weird Caudiciforms plants Much Loved Group of Plants and few Euphobia's Etc.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: New Greenhouse update work ongoing

Post by edds »

Well done. My work has stalled with the wet weather (I have a few tonnes of soil to shift still) but I'm hoping some dry autumn days may allow me to crack on.

I like the forethought of the drain you have placed in the base - have you got some way to cover it to prevent it being a cold air inlet during cold weather? Maybe just a cap on the exposed pipework if it becomes a problem?

What size greenhouse will be going on it?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
penforpen
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by penforpen »

Hi there, Ed

There will not be a drain my original 6x10 which can be seen is fair too small this is on soil and while I do get the point about water I always
Drys up quick, I thought about solid as I have a stanging that stands on the floor and for my succulents probably safer the hole is for my armed cable which will be slabbed eventually near edge.

Size 8x14

I welcome views on my window placement
Berkhamstead Branch Hertfordshire Zone 6 Area
Committee Member & Berkhamstead & Show Secretary
BCSS Number 42673
10x8 Greenhouse, Small Collection of Slow Growing Cacti Along with Succulents and a few weird Caudiciforms plants Much Loved Group of Plants and few Euphobia's Etc.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Ah! Sorry, that makes more sense! It has made me thing about drainage for my greenhouse base though as I sinking it into the ground and building blockwork walls!

8 X 14 is a nice size! 3' wide benches each side for perfect space usage imo!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

penforpen wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:59 pm Hi there, Ed

There will not be a drain my original 6x10 which can be seen is fair too small this is on soil and while I do get the point about water I always
Drys up quick, I thought about solid as I have a stanging that stands on the floor and for my succulents probably safer the hole is for my armed cable which will be slabbed eventually near edge.

Size 8x14

I welcome views on my window placement
I've just recently got an 8x10. One louvre is at ground height in the middle of the short side and the other is at 'plant height' in the middle of the long side.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.