A hardy Matucana

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

A hardy Matucana

Post by iann »

I grow some Matucana haynei, and a handful of others, because they are hardy enough to survive winter in my greenhouse, even last winter, without any apparent stress. This little one decided it is no longer winter.
haynei-0607.jpg
Cheshire, UK
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Re: A hardy Matucana

Post by ianstrutt »

What a beaut. Never grown matucana as I'm worried about keeping them happy over the winter.

This is definitely one to add to the want list.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Yup
A beauty.
Mine has never flowered. Perhaps cold GH this winter.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

ianstrutt wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:21 pm What a beaut. Never grown matucana as I'm worried about keeping them happy over the winter.

This is definitely one to add to the want list.
Some are definitely not hardy. As a quick rule of thumb, the more spiny they are the hardier they are. Don't try to freeze M. madisoniorum!
Cheshire, UK
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Matucana hoxeyi is very cold sensitive. The spiny ones, and the shiny ones (with glosssy bodies) rather less so in general., although they can lose their gloss if they get too cold.
My favourite is M. polzii. It has offsets on almost every areole, if you let it, but if you take them off, they readily root up, and the parent is more likely to reward you with a flower like this. Given its ese of propagation and super flower, I'm surprised it is not more common:
Matucana polzii.jpg
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

ralphrmartin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:37 pm My favourite is M. polzii. It has offsets on almost every areole, if you let it, but if you take them off, they readily root up ....

Indeed, Ralph, I must remember to pot up some more of these babies:

Img_2268.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Here’s my M oreodoxa this morning. I wasn’t expecting the flowers to be such a shocking pink I must say. As I understand it it’s not hardy.
I wonder how Grahams book is coming along?
IMG_0509.jpeg
as it’s a Genus which deserves to be better known.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Mal H
BCSS Member
Branch: CLACTON-on-SEA

Post by Mal H »

Good colour on the oreodoxa

here are a couple showing today
IMG_0050.jpeg
purpureoalba FR1063

IMG_0055.jpeg
paucicostata
Wirral (Chester and District branch) - Collection mostly South American cacti.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Mike P wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:08 am Here’s my M oreodoxa this morning. I wasn’t expecting the flowers to be such a shocking pink I must say. As I understand it it’s not hardy.
I wonder how Grahams book is coming along?
It'll be ready last Christmas (or was it the one before?) :smile:
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Elizabeth
BCSS Branch Official
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Elizabeth »

I'm exceedingly partial to Matucanas and find them largely trouble free - apart from the cold sensitive M. madisoniorum. They sit in a very bright spot in the greenhouse and most flower well, often several spurts in a season. I'm not sure why they aren't more popular.

Mat. herzogiana has been stunning my non-cactophile husband this week:

Another good one for the wonderful clear yellow is Mat. weberbaueri:

And an old plant - the label is inconveniently inaccessible as the plant is wedging it against the rear of the pot:

I found that my plants of Mat. roseiflora and rebutiflora marked badly over the severe winter - they looked like they'd been wrapped in brown paper. However they are far from dead and fresh green is appearing.

I'm not above buying the occasional hybrid either from Southfields!

I'm eager to see Graham's forthcoming book....
Elizabeth
Harrow Branch