Mesemb lovers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
topsy
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Mesemb lovers

Post by topsy »

HI,

Argyroderma subalbum - 3.5 inch pot - all one plant - first time flowering

This has been out for about a week and this is the first time I have had a chance to takes its pic, too much rain mostly and finally we had sun yesterday, went down to the greenhouse and found that the camera was out of charge! So this afternoon it had to be and unfortunately the flowers were not wide open, perhaps they are beginning to fade.

It is a plant which I gathered from Terry Smale's collection in summer 2021, why didn't it flower last year, perhaps it was the plentiful sunshine we had this summer, perhaps it is the better light as three 60 foot conifers were felled between us and next door which had been cutting out the afternoon light. If it flowers again next year it may manage more than four flowers, although such small heads producing such relatinely large flowers must deplete its reserves.

Suzanne
Attachments
P1020111.JPG
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re: Mesemb lovers

Post by Eric Williams »

Beautiful, cleanest plant I have seen, looks like a pristine marble sculpture. Well grown indeed.
jenniemay
BCSS Member
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Committee member

Post by jenniemay »

topsy wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:42 pm HI,

Argyroderma subalbum - 3.5 inch pot - all one plant - first time flowering

This has been out for about a week and this is the first time I have had a chance to takes its pic, too much rain mostly and finally we had sun yesterday, went down to the greenhouse and found that the camera was out of charge! So this afternoon it had to be and unfortunately the flowers were not wide open, perhaps they are beginning to fade.

It is a plant which I gathered from Terry Smale's collection in summer 2021, why didn't it flower last year, perhaps it was the plentiful sunshine we had this summer, perhaps it is the better light as three 60 foot conifers were felled between us and next door which had been cutting out the afternoon light. If it flowers again next year it may manage more than four flowers, although such small heads producing such relatinely large flowers must deplete its reserves.

Suzanne
👍😍
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ernie »

(tu)
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
colser
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by colser »

What a beauty
Last edited by colser on Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

(tu)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
peter831shaw
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by peter831shaw »

Wow is right!

Seriously, a single plant?

How old would that be?

On my mesa gardens list for sure, now I need to know the species of Iann's beauty.
Peter Shaw
topsy
BCSS Trustee

Post by topsy »

Hi Peter,

I am afraid that I do not know how old this plant is. I have had it 15 months. Terry Smale must have had it over 10 years as it came from a mutual friend in Belgium who had to relinquish his collection because of having to move. The small skinny label at the back of the larger label is the original label and simply says A.subalbum. That owner - Tom Jacobs - took over his love of mesembs and many of the plants from his father - Eric Jacobs. Sorry I cannot help more.

Suzanne
topsy
BCSS Trustee

Post by topsy »

Hi All,

Managed to get a pic of the flowers open this afternoon before it clouded over.

Suzanne
Attachments
P1020137.JPG
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

topsy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:33 pm Hi All,

Managed to get a pic of the flowers open this afternoon before it clouded over.

Suzanne
(tu)