Todays photo

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Todays photo

Post by el48tel »

Nice one.

On another note .... have you thought about penning a note for Haworthiad on the subject of the Complete Beginners Guide to Pollination of Haworthia?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

el48tel wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:38 am Nice one.

On another note .... have you thought about penning a note for Haworthiad on the subject of the Complete Beginners Guide to Pollination of Haworthia?
That would be a good one to read, especially if it addressed issues like time, humidity etc. (referring to the comment about taking plants home for pollination).

Also, I found that the simple "cat whisker" way works fine, just not on every plant (hybrids tend to be more resistant to my efforts here...), or sometimes works one way, but not the other (perhaps some plants have fine pollen, but non-receptive stigmas or something?).
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:05 pm

That would be a good one to read, especially if it addressed issues like time, humidity etc. (referring to the comment about taking plants home for pollination).

Also, I found that the simple "cat whisker" way works fine, just not on every plant (hybrids tend to be more resistant to my efforts here...), or sometimes works one way, but not the other (perhaps some plants have fine pollen, but non-receptive stigmas or something?).
The points you make .... are exactly the ones about which the details are "everything".
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Nice plant. Love those windowed, flat-ended leaves.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

H.bayeri X maraissi
H.bayeri X maraissi.jpg
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Lovely colour and texture
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

H.picta tricolour CV Ivory X picta's
H.picta Tricolour cv Ivory X picta's.jpg
Allan
Orkney
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

(tu)
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Very nice Allan.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

I have not enough information yet to pen on this subject.
I strongly suspect that some hybrids do not pollinate. Wether it is because they do not recieve pollen or give pollen, I am not sure.
There are so many factors that affect pollination, it would take a life time to accurately determine what affects pollination. This is mainly because no one has enough material.
I cannot get any insect pollination like Les does, as my bees are bumble bees, not honey bees. Besides which I don't get many in the greenhouse cos they find it difficult to get back out
Allan
Orkney