Cactus ID please?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RachelTurner
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cactus ID please?

Post by RachelTurner »

I've recently rescued a couple of cacti from my local Co-op - I say 'rescued' because a 'helpful' staff member had obviously been watering them and I found the first in a puddle of water (fortunately in the ceramic pot), and the second similarly rather damp, and at the check-out the assistant advised me they'd need watering when I got home! :eek: :roll:

Could anyone tell me what species they might be please? I've tried asking Mr Google, and I've really no idea when it comes to cacti.

Cactus No.1
From photos though it seems similar to a ferocactus schwarzii (pure guess). This first one seems to have more pronounced "nobbles" than Cactus No.2, with its yellow spines with the furry bit in the middle (as you can tell, I'm fully conversant with all the technical terms! :lol: ) and more furriness on the top with some darker yellow spines.

Cactus No.2
I've no idea with this second one though as there seem to be loads of photos of cacti with red/orange spines, and I have no idea. Its nobbles are less pronounced than No.1, but closer together, with a lot more spines coming from the middle of each, which isn't as furry as on the other. Each of the spines are red/orange and kind of 'hooked' over at the ends though, and there isn't the same amount of furriness on the top as there is on No.1.

They were both helpfully labelled by the Co-op as "Cactus" and the shelf below them had a lot of pots with plants helpfully labelled as "Succulent". :roll: I've named them Romeo and Juliet though, as I can't keep referring to them as "cactus", so the taller of the two with the red/orange spines is Romeo, and the little round yellow one is Juliet! :mrgreen:
Rachel

~~ (Very) novice succulent herder ~~
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Cactus ID please?

Post by ralphrmartin »

The first one is a white spined form of Echinocactus grusonii,
or Kroenleinia grusonii if you want the most up to date name.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Yes, Echinocactus Grusonii (aka Golden Barrel or Mother-in-Law's Cushion) for the first one, I only know because I bought one a while ago of similar size. It will get bigger, much bigger..!

Well done rescuing them.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

The 2nd plant is a Mammillaria, I'd go for zeilmanniana. This is a commonly grown species, mass-produced by nurseries in the Netherlands. Usually purplish flowers, though pink and white flowered forms available. Definitely keep away from net curtains.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
anttisepp
BCSS Member

Post by anttisepp »

2nd Mam. hamata or duoformis IMHO
Etelä-Karjala, Suomi-Finland
RachelTurner
BCSS Member

Post by RachelTurner »

Thanks everyone. Definitely will be keeping them well away from net curtains! :grin:
Rachel

~~ (Very) novice succulent herder ~~