Borzicactus icosagonus subsp. roseiflorus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Borzicactus icosagonus subsp. roseiflorus

Post by ralphrmartin »

Phil,

on a closer look, the spines are longer at the top, presumably where it flowered last year, so that looks to match ssp. humboldti according to Graham's key. Thanks.
IMG_20220807_095322.jpg
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Colin Walker wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:15 am Has anyone flowered B. icosagonus subsp. icosagonus? My plant is much slower growing and hence smaller than subsp. roseiflorus. The stems are also significantly thicker so it doesn't flop around in quite the same way. :grin:
Have you been able to look again at your plant labelled subsp. icosagonus? I'm curious about whether it really is this or whether it's subsp. humboldtii, though I realise it wouldn't be so easy without flowers. From what GC says, subsp. icosagonus is so uncommon in cultivation that it would be great to see a real one. He indicates that he has only a single plant though as he illustrates plants of GC1107.01 in habitat bearing fruit I would think he will now be raising/distributing seedlings.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Colin Walker
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Phil_SK wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:17 am
Colin Walker wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:15 am Has anyone flowered B. icosagonus subsp. icosagonus? My plant is much slower growing and hence smaller than subsp. roseiflorus. The stems are also significantly thicker so it doesn't flop around in quite the same way. :grin:
Have you been able to look again at your plant labelled subsp. icosagonus? I'm curious about whether it really is this or whether it's subsp. humboldtii, though I realise it wouldn't be so easy without flowers. From what GC says, subsp. icosagonus is so uncommon in cultivation that it would be great to see a real one. He indicates that he has only a single plant though as he illustrates plants of GC1107.01 in habitat bearing fruit I would think he will now be raising/distributing seedlings.
Phil, my plant of B. icosagonus subsp. icosagonus came from Graham 8 years ago with his collection No. given above and the locality Rio Leon Valley, Ecuador, 2405m. Obviously till it flowers I'm not 100% sure of its ID. :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Phil and Colin,
These are my plants, also from Graham C.
All in 12 cm pots.
The front one is GC1057.02 (Z) (acquired in Sept 2011).
The two at the back are both GC605.03 (Z) (acquired in Sept 2007).

Img_1970.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

It's good to know that subsp. icosagonus is out there somewhere - I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Will it be as handsome as all the humboldtii and roseiflorus we're seeing in this thread, I wonder? Adding yours, Tony, it seems there are lots of humboldtii.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

A cutting from an old rescued-plant from a few years ago (originally labelled as Haag. aureispinus (sic) which it clearly isn't) has just flowered. Main stem is ca. 9 inches tall.
Comments please.
(Sorry about the fuzzy photos - iPhone not giving me the right focal point/depth of field today.)
IMG_2039.1.jpg
IMG_2042.1.jpg
Tony Roberts
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Mike P
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I have one bought from Ralph when he was at Exeter so some years ago now. My dad had it for many years and it flowered sporadically for him but since I inherited it and repotted it all I have seen is new growth and stems.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Tony R wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:00 am A cutting from an old rescued-plant from a few years ago (originally labelled as Haag. aureispinus (sic) which it clearly isn't) has just flowered. Main stem is ca. 9 inches tall.
Comments please.
(Sorry about the fuzzy photos - iPhone not giving me the right focal point/depth of field today.)

IMG_2039.1.jpg

IMG_2042.1.jpg
Good to know that your plant has flowered at a relatively small size. It's clearly not ssp. roseiflorus but is it ssp. icosagonus or humboldtii? Maybe the former 'cos it doesn't have the extra bristles?
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I'd go with ssp. icosagonus - it looks different to my plant.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:37 pm I'd go with ssp. icosagonus - it looks different to my plant.
Thanks, Ralph and Colin, that was my diagnosis too.
Tony Roberts
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent