Senecio stapeliformis seeds...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Senecio stapeliformis seeds...

Post by MatDz »

Colin, we've all already "paid" for the Dec issue of the journal, you're not jeopardizing the sales numbers by sharing a little "teaser" of the content (although I must say I'm already "bought" by your mention of the Euphorbia story in it!).

Are you covering the Madagascar ones as well?
Mat
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Colin Walker wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:41 am .... What I mean briefly by this is that all the components of Euphorbia have a common origin.
If you go back far enough, all plants have a common origin, but that does not mean they should all be in one genus.

Surely the concept of a genus should
- be based on a rather close relationship
- include few enough plants that it is a useful concept.

What I mean by the last point is something like this:
- we could put all species of cacti into one genus, but that would not be very helpful
- we could put each species of cactus into a different genus, but that would not be very helpful either

There has to be some optimum average relatedness to determine a genus, leading to say roughly as many genera as species, for the concept of genus to be maximally informative. (I'm not saying all genera should be the same size, just that there is a most useful average size).

Even if Euphorbia are all closely related, putting 2000+ species into one genus does not seem like a very informative thing to do.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

MatDz wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:36 pm Colin, we've all already "paid" for the Dec issue of the journal, you're not jeopardizing the sales numbers by sharing a little "teaser" of the content (although I must say I'm already "bought" by your mention of the Euphorbia story in it!).

Are you covering the Madagascar ones as well?
Mat, what I'm doing is reviewing the latest research on Euphorbia and one aspect is a discussion of the concept of a unified view of the genus based on state of the art technology, i.e. whole genome sequencing. So in answer to your question, yes, Madagascan spp. are covered, but so are the other 1,800 spp. in the genus. :grin: :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:19 pm
Colin Walker wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:41 am .... What I mean briefly by this is that all the components of Euphorbia have a common origin.
If you go back far enough, all plants have a common origin, but that does not mean they should all be in one genus.

Surely the concept of a genus should
- be based on a rather close relationship
- include few enough plants that it is a useful concept.

What I mean by the last point is something like this:
- we could put all species of cacti into one genus, but that would not be very helpful
- we could put each species of cactus into a different genus, but that would not be very helpful either

There has to be some optimum average relatedness to determine a genus, leading to say roughly as many genera as species, for the concept of genus to be maximally informative. (I'm not saying all genera should be the same size, just that there is a most useful average size).

Even if Euphorbia are all closely related, putting 2000+ species into one genus does not seem like a very informative thing to do.
Ralph, an adequate response to the issues you raise would require a long essay or an hour's lecture. :shock:
I'm sorry, but you're going to have to be patient 'cos I don't have time to do this here and now.

So what follows is a very quick back of the envelope kind of response. I also really need images to convey quickly what I want to say, and I don't have these to hand. Key responses to most of the points you've raised:
  • (1) Yes of course a genus should be based on relatedness. This is essential.
    (2) The number of species in any given genus is totally irrelevant. Size isn't everything, in fact it's meaningless in this context. :shock: To give you an example from genera I'm most familiar with, Aloe has 550+ spp. whilst Aloidendron has only 7. Both are good genera using currently applicable criteria, so clearly size is totally irrelevant. :grin:
    (3) It's not just taxonomy that's involved here since there are nomenclatural, i.e. priority issues of naming. This point actually relates more to Senecio than to Euphorbia.
    (4) Euphorbia does indeed have synapomorphies unique to it, i.e. features that NO other genus has. So all 2,000 spp. share certain derived characteristics which no other genus in the Euphorbiaceae has.
    (5) You say "There has to be some optimum average relatedness to determine a genus". Nope sorry, no one has ever tried to define a genus in this way. There is no unified concept of a genus based on such criteria.
Sorry Ralph but I must end here 'cos I'm going to Patagonia with the CSSA. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
ralphrmartin

Post by ralphrmartin »

Thanks for the reply Colin.

While Wikipedia is not necessarily authoritative, it does say that (i) there are no objective criteria for grouping species into genera, other than they are supposed to be similar, and (ii) in order for a genus to be descriptively useful, it must have reasonable compactness. I presume the latter is a reference to the number of species in it, or if not that, then to the similarity of the organisms.

Yet Euphorbia is neither compact in terms of size, nor compact in terms of similarity of organisms (containing succulents, arable weeds, trees, etc etc).

So if Euphorbia meets this requirement, in what sense is it compact?
Ralph Martin

Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:16 pm Thanks for the reply Colin.

While Wikipedia is not necessarily authoritative, it does say that (i) there are no objective criteria for grouping species into genera, other than they are supposed to be similar, and (ii) in order for a genus to be descriptively useful, it must have reasonable compactness. I presume the latter is a reference to the number of species in it, or if not that, then to the similarity of the organisms.

Yet Euphorbia is neither compact in terms of size, nor compact in terms of similarity of organisms (containing succulents, arable weeds, trees, etc etc).

So if Euphorbia meets this requirement, in what sense is it compact?
I can assure you, Ralph, that no taxonomist I know aims for "compactness". :shock: Well, at least not in their day job. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I agree! 'Compactness' is not a term I've heard much in classification but it seems they're talking about it being fairly restrictive to group closely related species together and not end up as a useless catch-all genus.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
John Foster
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by John Foster »

Colin Walker wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:26 am Senecio was a huge genus of 2,000 or so spp. but is gradually being split up. So eventually NO succulent spp. will remain in this genus since they're evolutionary far removed from Senecio vulgaris, the common groundsel, which is the type sp. of Senecio.
Colin - what about borderline-succulent species? Will they remain in Senecio? I'm thinking of macroglossus, ruwenzoriensis, oxyriifolius, tropaeolifolius, angulatus.
John Foster
Zone 9 Rep
Gloucester Branch Chairman
ralphrmartin

Post by ralphrmartin »

Colin Walker wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:42 pm I can assure you, Ralph, that no taxonomist I know aims for "compactness". :shock: Well, at least not in their day job. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Fair enough Colin. Moral: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet! :grin:

Still, I reckon what they need is some helpful computer scientists to show them how to do optimal classification based on information theory. Stir, Stir (why is there no wooden spoon emoticon). :grin: :grin: :grin:
Ralph Martin

MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:33 pm Fair enough Colin. Moral: Don't believe everything you read on the Internet! :grin:

Still, I reckon what they need is some helpful computer scientists to show them how to do optimal classification based on information theory. Stir, Stir (why is there no wooden spoon emoticon). :grin: :grin: :grin:
I wanted to share some smart papers with complex equations, but it's a real rabbit hole and I had better things to do over the weekend :mrgreen: Dozens of "internal cluster(ing) validity indices" exist, but I couldn't find one that takes "cognitively optimal cluster size" into account. I bet there's good research on that, just hidden in various other fields (online grocery shopping categorisation comes into mind where companies spend lots of £ to optimise users' shopping journey and make them find what they want easily).
Mat