Bora Da! from South Wales

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Kidcomet2447
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Bora Da! from South Wales

Post by Kidcomet2447 »

Thought I would say hi.

Based in South Wales. Been growing plants since I was about (40 years). Drifted in and out with various succulents and cacti over the years.

I have a small 6x8 green house and a 8x10 polytunnel. Hoping to put up a third greenhouse early next year or debating taking the plunch and removing the others and having a larger greenhouse instead.

I studies Horticulture back in the late 80's/90s and worked for Hurrans Garden Centre and also a large commercial nursery for a number of years but didn't enjoy the commercial side of things.

Now I just grow for pleasure. I have a big interest in Pelargoniums as well.

Majority of my collection is made up from Aeoniums and Echiveria, with a few Aloe, Haworthia and crassula mixed in.

Glad to be here :grin:
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Bora Da! from South Wales

Post by el48tel »

Welcome to the forum
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Bora Da! from South Wales

Post by edds »

Welcome. Glad to have another Aeonium fan around! Have you seen the BCSS talk that is happening tonight at 7:30 about Aeonium?

Topic: Melanie Lewis - Aeonium...a succulent passion!
Time: Tuesday 19 July 2022 at 7:30pm (BST)
Meeting ID: 880 3912 8884
Passcode: bcss
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88039128884?p ... tr6urwnV.1

Melanie first became interested in Aeonium back in the 1980’s when she was a young State Registered Nurse working full time in a hospital in Lymington in the New Forest. However, nursing was not her biggest passion, Melanie’s heart belonged to plants, and her connection with plants has always been her true succulent passion. Melanie’s first Aeonium fascinated her as it looked nothing like anything she had seen before. This resulted in a quest to find more information and it has become a botanical adventure of discovery! Melanie says that she feels fortunate these days in being able to dedicate her life to these plants and her National Collection. She enjoys the opportunity to educate people on these wonderful plants, including her recent appearance on BBC Gardeners' World -available on BBC iPlayer at - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0016mr1 Melanie is passionate on educating people on the plight of this wonderful genus!

In what promises to be an exciting and fascinating talk, Melanie will help us explore the origins of aeoniums, and their habitat. She will explain her deep concerns for the genus in the wild, and finally she will allow us to take a peep at modern cultivars and where they are heading.
Ed

BCSS member 53038