Not an Echinopsis, and not even a flower, but an odd Haworthia truncata 'Mammoth' with its own satellite dish!

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Not an Echinopsis, and not even a flower, but an odd Haworthia truncata 'Mammoth' with its own satellite dish!

Post by MatDz »

As the title says, H. 'Mammoth' with a flower stalk plantlet:

20220707_203602.jpg

I had a few similar wither away before I decided to separate and root them, any tips on what and when should I do to maximise its chances?
Mat
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Re: Not an Echinopsis, and not even a flower, but an odd Haworthia truncata 'Mammoth' with its own satellite dish!

Post by Christian »

Nice! May I ask - did you force the plant to develop this (e.g. by cutting the stem)? I've never seen any of my Haworthias develop plantlets like this, even though it is said to happen occasionally.

My inkling would be to try rooting this sooner rather than later and treat it similar to a leaf cutting, but it would be very interesting to read what others who might actually have done this recommend.
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Not an Echinopsis, and not even a flower, but an odd Haworthia truncata 'Mammoth' with its own satellite dish!

Post by Herts Mike »

How very odd!
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Christian wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:10 pm Nice! May I ask - did you force the plant to develop this (e.g. by cutting the stem)? I've never seen any of my Haworthias develop plantlets like this, even though it is said to happen occasionally.

My inkling would be to try rooting this sooner rather than later and treat it similar to a leaf cutting, but it would be very interesting to read what others who might actually have done this recommend.
Nothing in particular, if I recall correctly the flower stalk died off rather prematurely on this one, but I have a similar plantlet on H. cooperi var. truncata that flowered in full glory (will, it's still only Haworthia and its flowers...) and developed one, so this doesn't seem to be a factor. Maybe I have a neighbour with a wee nuclear reactor around?

Herts Mike wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:52 am How very odd!
Are you me, Mike?! Now "just" to keep it alive!
Mat
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I've read that cutting the flower spike just above the first flower encourages these to form, don't know if this works though. These offsets on the flower stems usually continue to grow until the flower spike dries up. I'd leave it attached until the stem dries and then root it as a cutting. It happens with Aloes and Gasterias as well. Has anyone tried cutting the flower spikes to encourage stem offsets?

Stuart
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

How's the plantlet working out Mat?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

edds wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:37 pm How's the plantlet working out Mat?
Oh, it is certainly in a desperate need of a new pot! I am also considering some leaf propagation attempts instead, will see how I feel about it when the repotting time comes.

I tried to match the framing of the first photo, but the light is much brighter now - "in person" it looks somewhere in between of the two photographs:
20230123_124624.jpg

When looking at "windows", I am not that impressed by this cultivar to be fair:
20230123_124801.jpg
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

It's looking good to me! Mammoth is on my list of wants so if you do make leaf props or the keiki survive/root let me know!

Been drooling over some of the ChinaHaworthia forms after Anttun put his thread up and can understand what you mean about the windows.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

@edds: check your PM
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

AnTTun wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:43 pm @edds: check your PM
Thanks AnTTun. (tu)
Ed

BCSS member 53038