Mammillaria senilis

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Mammillaria senilis

Post by Ali Baba »

In full bloom today. This came from seed about 10 years ago. Interesting to note that the flowers do not close once they have opened, and they gradually change colour from red to crimson as they age. The flowers last a long time and are presumably bird pollinated?
Attachments
A33CACF2-E802-43AC-9C78-457214EB816C.jpeg
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Mammillaria senilis

Post by Herts Mike »

Great show but I still struggle to think of it as a Mammillaria.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I think it was last heard of as a Cochemiea which now seems to have expanded to the genus for all Mammillarias that don't quite fit in to the traditional type of Mammillarias. It makes about as much sense as lumping all the Neochilenias etc in with Eriosyce. Mamm Senilis does seem to need top shelf treatment to bring it in to flower.

Stuart
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

This one was found to be a Mammillaria rather than a Cochemiea by Breslin, Wojciechowski and Majure.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Stuart wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:06 am I think it was last heard of as a Cochemiea which now seems to have expanded to the genus for all Mammillarias that don't quite fit in to the traditional type of Mammillarias. It makes about as much sense as lumping all the Neochilenias etc in with Eriosyce. Mamm Senilis does seem to need top shelf treatment to bring it in to flower.

Stuart
It certainly gets plenty of sunshine but it’s not cold in the greenhouse (the last two winters I have kept my greenhouse at 8C) so temperature doesn’t seem to be a factor. I know some struggle to flower it but mine is very reliable although it only flowers on the south facing side as you can see!
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

Interesting and now you mention I checked mine and ditto. Although annoyingly iy only has two flowers this year.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
rcapra
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by rcapra »

They are truly special flowers. In my experience, flowering is linked to a period of cold (around 5 degrees Celsius). The years when I didn't have a cold December and January, I didn't have flowers. Another important point in my plants is a decent growth in the previous year (if it struggles, it does not bloom the following spring). In short, it does not seem to me an always complacent plant. Ruggero
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Yes, in my cactus growing days mine was temperamental and wouldn’t flower every year.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

rcapra wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:54 am They are truly special flowers. In my experience, flowering is linked to a period of cold (around 5 degrees Celsius). The years when I didn't have a cold December and January, I didn't have flowers. Another important point in my plants is a decent growth in the previous year (if it struggles, it does not bloom the following spring). In short, it does not seem to me an always complacent plant. Ruggero
I wish I'd known about the 5C. I'd have put it in a cooler spot in the GH.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Diane »

I agree that it needs a cool winter, and full sun to initiate bud formation. I have three plants, two are almost ready to open and will post photos when they do, but the third shows no buds this year. They are a bit temperamental with regards to flowering, but very rewarding when they do!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!