Indoors or outdoors?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
macavity
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Indoors or outdoors?

Post by macavity »

Do you find your succulents survive Winter outdoors in a greenhouse, or do you bring them in? Until now, my plants have always stayed inside all year round but this year I finally bought a greenhouse (rigid plastic on metal frame, quite small) in the hope of actually seeing something flower. I can see sub-zero temperatures hovering on the horizon and don't know if I ought to bring them in, or if they will survive where they are!
For anybody who doesn't already know me, I'm a student living on the outskirts of SE London in a tiny flat with cats who could play pot-throwing in the Olympics, so any way of keeping the plants outside would be very helpful as long as it doesn't cost a fortune. All (sensible) suggestions welcome!
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Re: Indoors or outdoors?

Post by Paul in Essex »

It depends entirely on what you grow and the aspect of your greenhouse, I would say - so more info, please. :smile:

Some cacti and succulents will fold up as soon as the frost touches them, others are bomb proof. I have around 1500m2 of garden in southeast Essex, approx. half of which is landscaped as an arid garden with maybe 2 dozen species of cacti growing outside year round and Heaven knows how many succulents. Some of them get a cover for winter, many don't.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

As you haven't really left yourself much time to do the research I'd bring them in. If space is a problem consider out-of-the-way places like on tops of wardrobes and under the bed. So long as it's coolish and the plants are dry most cacti will be fine. Leafier other succulents might prefer a bit of brightness.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
macavity
BCSS Member
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Post by macavity »

My plants are a very random mix from lots of different places, so it's difficult to list them all! Mostly succulents from southern Africa/Madagascar (euphorbias, pachypodium, lithops, a few crassula & various other individuals, including one prized hoodia gordonii), along with some cacti from assorted places. It would probably be easier to take some photos if this will help anybody? I have brought them all indoors for now but it would be very helpful if someone can let me know if any particular genus is likely to be alright outdoors.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

That's easy. None of those.....
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.