its a baby or two :)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Joy G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

its a baby or two :)

Post by Joy G »

really proud of this my very 2nd try at seed growing and these little babies are the result two years on. Much of the seed came from the BCSS seed catalogue and there are mamms, parodias, gymnos and a cliestocactus in there somewhere. They may not be the best of plants but to me they are step forward in cacti growing :)
baby1.JPG
baby2.JPG
Rev Joy
enjoying keeping Mamms, Eurphorbias and wee spiny beasties

Bradford UK
BCSS number 49386
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: its a baby or two :)

Post by Diane »

Well done, Joy! (tu) It's so nice to grow your own from seed and raise them successfully!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Joy G
BCSS Member

Post by Joy G »

Thank you Diane I was really pleased when I realised how much had actually come up.

From what I have been told that the BCSS seed catalogue seed is very reliable so I gave it a try.
Rev Joy
enjoying keeping Mamms, Eurphorbias and wee spiny beasties

Bradford UK
BCSS number 49386
Clarke Brunt
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Clarke Brunt »

Hello Joy. If there's a chance of getting those seedlings into more light, then I'd do it. Maybe not blast them with full sun to start off with, as they need time to 'acclimatise', but they are a bit pale-green, and thin/elongated. Could be due to being in even less light inside bags, if that's where they were (I don't do bags myself - don't want to knock it, not having tried it, but it's just not something I can be bothered doing).

The apearance at this young age is no problem, but you'd want to get more compact growth and a darker green as they get larger, with any that are supposed to be spherical not being elongated - makes for a tougher plant too, less susceptible to rotting or being eaten by sciara maggots.
--
http://www.viridis.net/ Photos of cacti etc. in habitat
Maurice Vaughan
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by Maurice Vaughan »

I am glad you obtained your seed through the BCSS Seed List as i have just done the same and set the seeds into the growing soil/sand and hopefully will see good results, congratulations on your success.
Thank you .
Maurice
My intrests are centered around Astrophytums and the Stapeliads
I am a member of the Cambridge group of CSS