It's About Time!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Smudger
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

It's About Time!

Post by Smudger »

It's about time I introduced myself and give you some idea of my collection having been registered on the Forum since July!
My interest in the hobby began when I was about 11 years old with a small collection of plants I kept in a elderley neighbours greenhouse and joined the BCSS, (Edenbridge branch) as a junior member. Unfortunately I had to dispose of my collection when I could no longer use the greenhouse so a brief but enjoyable period came to an end...
However, I always promised myself that if I had the opportunity again I would restart my interest in the hobby and begin collecting. Luckily in the last 3 years with the addition of a new greenhouse and a very understanding wife my hopes were fullfilled.
At the momemt I have a generic collection of cacti & succulents with a particular interest in the columnar cacti and ferocactus species.
I hope the attached pictures give some idea of my collection (hopefully the attachments are viewable?).
I am now stuck in to bubble wrapping the greenhouse (3rd weekend at it!) Forgot to mention I work in London with a long daily commute so only have the weekend to enjoy the plants. My other interests are collecting militaria and also have a collection of taxidermy birds (owls & other raptors). Will add more in due course thanks for reading so far......
anders
Registered Guest

Re: It's About Time!

Post by anders »

Smudger wrote:hopefully the attachments are viewable?
No, but welcome anyway :smile:.
Morgans Beauty
Registered Guest

Post by Morgans Beauty »

welcome aboard! (tu)
regards michael
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

Cacti, militaria and stuffed birds too. You certainly need that understanding wife.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, it's full of great stuff.

:welc:
Smudger
BCSS Member

Post by Smudger »

Apologies for the omission of the photos in my introduction, hopefully the attached will give some idea of my collection and thank you for all the welcome replies so far, much appreciatted! (tu)
IMG_2047 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2109 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1337 (Small).JPG
Brian
BCSS Member

Post by Brian »

That's a great collection of plants, some big ones too. No space left, you need another greenhouse.
Smudger
BCSS Member

Post by Smudger »

Yes, you are right Brian I am giving this some thought and possibly go for an aluminium type but one which looks wooden in appearance (Griffin I think), but not for a couple of years after I have pursuaded my very understanding wife of the need, either that or buy much smaller plants which won't grow too big!!!

It's amazing how quickly you can fill a space when at first it appears empty and underused.......
Mal L
BCSS Member

Post by Mal L »

Welcome, and what a very impressive "young" collection. Keep up the good work, and good luck in converting your partner!
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Smudger
Lovely looking collection, was it you & the wife at Doreens n Dougs auction ??, notice the creeping devil & a young couple purchased one .
Are you going to pop into the Northants meeting we meet on the first friday of the month ?, all very friendly.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
PhilW
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by PhilW »

Gorgeous and very healthy looking collection there :mrgreen:

The Grusonii in the 1st pic looks sweet as, but has t offet like that or is it single specimens in 1 bowl, i thought they grew solitary, but been a newbie in Cacti-land i'm unsure :oops: