Plastic trays

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AnTTun
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Plastic trays

Post by AnTTun »

Can anyone recommend any manufacturer (with website or email) of plastic trays? I've done a lot of searching on various ebays, so far I found only one that ships outside UK/Germany/etc/etc. But they seem to have only trays for seedlings, which (I think) aren't strong enough for bigger plants. My collection is mostly in pots that range from 8-12 cms (3"-5"?) and I'd like to put all the pots in trays so I can move / water them easier. Every suggestion appreciated :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Ernie

Re: Plastic trays

Post by Ernie »

I have recently bought some from Wilkinsons store in Teesside UK. Very cheap quite strong and durable.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

You might get slightly better results from your searches if you try searching for either gravel trays, which are how larger seed trays are marketed here, or for crates, which might suit your larger plants better. I have a number of crates that I've used for moving plants into the house over winter which I bought from a garden centre which was selling off their surplus. For these sorts of things it might be better sourcing them locally but looking for crates designed for other industries. If you could legally get your hands on some of what I call bread trays or crates that might be better for your bigger plants.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

I use a lot of the trays (the larger one) shown below for keeping and watering plants. As a guide to size they are about 48cm long and hold 29 8cm round pots or 20 9/10cm pots. They are made by the Fyba Pot Company in Yorkshire, now part of the William Sinclair Group in Lincoln. I have bought them from both companies direct in the past, also at Wilkos and local garden centres. Buying them direct in boxes of 24 was by far the cheapest. They are also much deeper than most gravel trays on the market.
fyba_tray.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
lobman
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by lobman »

As Phil says , you are probably better off looking locally , but is best to source those that do not become brittle after a few hot summers , or its an expensive exercise ; cat litter trays can be obtained quiet cheaply , but you would have to drill holes in them , and possibly paint with matt enamel paint as well ( this does have the advantage of stopping the UV damage . ) .
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I wish I live in UK :)

Will contact them and check if any of them are willing to sell via web, send abroad etc.. Thanks for help so far guys :)
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi,

Anyone going to Croatia who could take some trays with them?

Suzanne Mace
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Can't you find any on Croatian EBAY AnTTun, or by using your Web browser for gravel or greenhouse trays in Croatia? I would have thought Croatian nurserymen must use them.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

topsy.. if you ever come here, beer is on me ;)

DaveW... we are talking about Croatia, right? No ebay here :) I even went to plastic pots manufacturer but they just gave me 'that look'. No demand for such things here. They offered 'custom made trays' but I still like both of my kidneys, price was too high, and I wasn't willing to sell one of them :) Will try my luck at local hardware stores but wont hold my breath...
georged
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by georged »

I have an old cat litter tray which is very useful for moving pots etc. Could you get these in Croatia?
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.