In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!

In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

Aphids
2%
Fungus/Rot/Damping off
14%
Mealy bugs
26%
Mice
1%
Red spider mite
20%
Root mealy bugs
18%
Scale insects
4%
Sciarid fly
6%
Snails
5%
Western flower thrip
4%

Total votes: 942
juster
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: In your opinion, which are the 3 worst pests in succulents?

Post by juster »

Interesting observations Ralph. My greenhouse is much smaller than yours, so if a bird gets in I normally leave the door open and then stand outside at the opposite end, they fly away from me and usually escape quite quickly.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Leaf Cutter bees

Something which we have been plagued with on and off over the years are leaf cutter bees and this year they seem to be far more prevalent. Charming though they are we do not like they way they chomp through whatever is in their way in the pot including thick tap roots of Lophophora and other such plants. Don't want to kill them with insecticide so just resort to moving the pot but they are clever and ususally work out whre it has been moved to.

Taking the post off the bench and standing it in water to get really wet is also a deterrent, but that's fine if you only have a small collection.

Suzanne
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

I'm going to propose ... slugs and snails.
Certainly here in the Aire valley the weather has become cold and wet fairly rapidly. These beasts have taken shelter in the GH and its on-tap hospitality. Seedlings have become the dish of the day. Aylostera from the seed list of 2020 and some home hybrid Astrophytums which did have some promising plants.

Edit. And damping off / rot
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
jimlari
Branch: None

Post by jimlari »

My top three

1. Red spider mite
2. Root mealy bugs
3. Scale insects

The red spider mite is a problem for several types of cacti. Of the cacti, rebutia, lobivia, and coryphants are most often affected by it.
Jamface
BCSS Member

Post by Jamface »

My top three pests are (in order):

1) Mealy bug - I just can't seem to get rid of them. I've tried pesticides with limited success, and have tried washing/repotting affected plants & roots (see below for enemy number two) but they always come back. I now just try to pick them off when I see them, sometimes using them to supplement my betta's diet...

2) Root mealy bug - Not as much of a problem as the upper-class mealies, but always worried about them because they're pretty well hidden!

3) Sciarid fly - just annoying. Had a massive outbreak 2 or 3 years ago and they affected 90% of our houseplants (we have many, couple of hundred at last count, including the dozens of seedlings!) Managed to get rid of them using nematodes :smile:
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

For number 3 intersperse your plants with a Drosera or 2. They make a big difference.
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

Mealy bugs, aphids, big high street shops that glue fake flowers on to cacti.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Herts Mike wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:58 am For number 3 intersperse your plants with a Drosera or 2. They make a big difference.
I'm not sure D. can actually eradicate them, but certainly control the numbers nicely and are rather rather fascinating plants, as are all other carnivorous ones really.
Mat
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Tortrix moth caterpillars are climbing up my rankings! Found two more Echeveria where they have hidden under the crown and tunnelled out the leaves over the last few weeks! At least my fish like eating them when I find them!!!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Jamface
BCSS Member

Post by Jamface »

MatDz wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:11 am
Herts Mike wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:58 am For number 3 intersperse your plants with a Drosera or 2. They make a big difference.
I'm not sure D. can actually eradicate them, but certainly control the numbers nicely and are rather rather fascinating plants, as are all other carnivorous ones really.
Last time I had carnivorous plants, they got Mealybug 😵‍💫