Haworthia truncata; flowering

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Asclepiad Stevo
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Haworthia truncata; flowering

Post by Asclepiad Stevo »

I have a smallish clump of H. truncata (5")which flowered last year with one spike and now has three for this year. My question is; the spikes take an absolute age to grow. I recall last year a spike first appeared around July and it didn't actually mature and flower until around December! I was unsure of what to do, I have an unheated glasshouse so I brought it indoors to a south facing windowsill. Q: will it still flower happily when the temp. starts to drop in the glasshouse? I'm guessing it would slow it right down. Alternatively, should I feed it to get it to flower before it gets too chilly? Being practically an Ariocarpus, I don't really want to shove a load of Nitrogen down it's throat or Potash. Or am I being a succulentophobe? :grin:
Advice readily accepted, thanks.
Bill
Branch: None

Re: Haworthia truncata; flowering

Post by Bill »

How is it "..practically an Ariocarpus" ?

The question is Steve why do you want it to flower, Haworthia flowers don't exactly light the world up, so unless you want to produce seeds cut them off an inch or so above the plant and enjoy the best bit of Haworthias, the leaves.

For what it's worth different species of Haworthia flower at all times of the year and would if allowed, flower in the winter in my greenhouse which is merely kept frost free and I doubt that feeding it will make much difference.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aloenut »

Agree with Bill.
Unless you want the seed (and you need 2 clones for this), I would chop the flowers off.
Asclepiad Stevo
Registered Guest
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Asclepiad Stevo »

Thanks Bill and 'Aloenut', you've put my conscience at ease. I'll lop off the spikes. I did toy with the idea as the first time I saw the flowers I was less than impressed. It's just that sometimes I feel uncomfortable doing certain things to plants that purely benefit our enjoyment.