BCSS Convention 2010  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Member

BCSS Convention 2010  Solved

Post by Colin Walker »

The BCSS needs the support of its members to ensure that this event goes ahead.

In order to secure the booking, the Society has to commit to a number of full-time delegates and on this occasion it is just 130, a target which currently we are not half way to meeting. The huge financial loss of the recent American Convention in Tucson reminds us of the risk.

If we fail to secure at least 130 bookings, then there are financial penalties. There is also a potential loss from failing to cover other costs like the air flights of the speakers.

So, if bookings do not improve significantly before the end of the year, the Society will be obliged to cancel the Convention, greatly diminishing the likelihood of similar events in the future. Of course, if there is truly no demand for such an event, then that is not a problem, but it would be surprising if there really is insufficient support for a Convention every four years.

More information can be found at http://www.bcss.org.uk/convention.html

Please help us to reach our target and put on a memorable weekend in Leicester, the dates for which are:

Friday 23 to Sunday 25 July 2010.

It has been suggested that Forum members might like to hold a meeting during the convention. This certainly seems like a great idea and a room can be provided for such a gathering. Ideas on this would be appreciated.

Message posted by Colin Walker, on behalf of the Convention Organising Committee.
Clarke Brunt
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Re: BCSS Convention 2010

Post by Clarke Brunt »

I've booked (and paid deposit, refundable until 2010 Jan 1st) - attracted by the 'carrot' of a first-come-first-served sales table.

But it seems so long before the event. With over 11 months to go, I reckon most people won't even have considered it yet. Did events like this always have to be booked so far ahead, or is it just a 'sign of the times'? A pity if it was cancelled still with over 6 months to go.

Are branch secretaries encouraged to advertise it at meetings? Presumably remaining journals this year will draw attention to it again.
--
http://www.viridis.net/ Photos of cacti etc. in habitat
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Hi Clarke,

Yes to a certain degree I agree the about the timing, the Haworthia Convention details only came out a month ago and that is being held in October this year. On the other hand you have to bear in mind the need to minimise costs if the event fails to attract enough bookings, therefore the society needs enough lead time ot cancel.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

In the past these international conventions were almost fully booked a year in advance. To qoute an example the 2006 convention only had a further 10 delegates book in the final 12 months before the event, all the rest were booked by the previous July. With overseas speakers needing to book flights well in adavance to get good prices and availability the exposure from those alone amounts to over £5,000 once purchased. The University, like all of them, has quite punitive cancellation penalties which increase the closer we get to the date. That not only applies to total cancellation but also to shortfalls from the contracted number. As you will have read the CSSA convention was a fiancial disaster, partly because they were always optimistic about numbers booking late and they did not materialise. This is not like a local or Zonal convention, the total budget is in the region of £30,000. We as Trustees would be irresponsible if we left the Society vulnerable to losses on this scale and as a registered charity the Trustees could even be held liable if they did not take all posible steps to minimise losses.
All members who have attended past conventions will be directly mailed and Branch secretaries will soon get a letter asking them to push the bookings at branch meetings.
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

I'm glad I read this thread. I'll go!!

Is there a place for parking as I hope to have passed my test by then and have a motor!!

Also is there a chance to stay one night at the beginning and end, for those who are going a long way?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I'll go too - it will be nice to see Leicester again. Maybe take in the botanical garden too.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Julie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm glad I read this thread. I'll go!!
>
> Is there a place for parking as I hope to have
> passed my test by then and have a motor!!

Hi Julie,

Parking absolutely won't be a problem since this is a university campus.

Good luck with the test.

Cheers,
Colin
Cheers,
Colin

F & Life Member, BCSS
FCSSA
Trustee, The Gordon Rowley Foundation
President, The Haworthia Society
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Phil Hocking Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll go too - it will be nice to see Leicester
> again. Maybe take in the botanical garden too.
>
> Somerset Phil

Hi Phil,

Think the plan is to include a leaflet in the welcome pack on the Botanic Gardens, which are right next door to the convention centre, so an added attraction.

Cheers,
Colin
Cheers,
Colin

F & Life Member, BCSS
FCSSA
Trustee, The Gordon Rowley Foundation
President, The Haworthia Society
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Sounds great Colin. I miss the Durham botty garden, it was my back garden when I was in halls.

Btw have not yet started the lessons yet :o but thanks! You're the first person to wish me luck with the test.

I'll start a seperate thread to ask who else is going, and what are peoples' experiences who've gone before, and leave this one for the serious stuff.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

I've booked my place!
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk