Branch show table

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Branch show table

Post by iann »

Each month my branch has a mini-show. Here's what I took in last night.

The cactus class was Matucana group this month. The best I could find was a small M. madisoniorum which the judges gave second place, and an even smaller M. aureiflora. First place went to a fairly large Oroya.

For a flowering succulent, I took in this Delosperma deilanthoides which was also placed second. Perhaps if the flower had been open, the judges might have been swayed another notch :) Good job they didn't realise it is only one year old from seed!

Instead they chose Fenestraria rhopalophylla ssp rhopalophylla for first place. This is a very old plant that I got from John Marsden last year. You can see the older leaves are a but ratty but it has recovered well and is growing strongly now. Maybe too strongly in its new soil, I must remember not to feed this one this year.

Lots of Crassulaceae (Echeverias and stuff), much bigger and showier than my plants, but not placed. Too easy to grow? Or perhaps a little too leggy, it always hard to know what the judges liked. And a number of Agaves which all looked nice but I don't know enough to say. One was A. victoriae-reginae which looked good to me.
Cheshire, UK
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Re: Branch show table

Post by Maria J »

Wow! Well done Ian! (tu) Nice looking plants! (That Matucana is definitely going on my list!)

We have Branch shows in April (Cacti) & October (Succulents).
As I joined in June 06, I missed the 'cactus' one and didn't have any worthy succulents to enter in October.
I might give it a go next month though... 8-)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

It's good to see the inside of that Delosperma flower!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Ian, that Fenestraria is lovely, I've never seen such a whopping clump!

Do I spy some lithops seedlings to the left of it? I don't see a fissure or even a little baby mouth, but I see patterns.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

At our branch the members present vote for plant of the month in three classes.

Nice looking plants.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Not Lithops seedlings. Spotty green blobs .... so Conophytum frutescens :)
Cheshire, UK
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Here you go Julie, a completely different but similar sized Fenestraria.
[img]http://www.galleries.thegardenforums.or ... raria4.jpg[/img]

Ernie, the judging is typically done by the visiting speaker with assistance from the show secretary. It is mostly a "ruse" to get people to bring plants in and its nice to see similar types all together :)
Cheshire, UK
Colin Walker
Branch: None

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Ernie,

How very democratic.:)-D

The visiting speaker is THE law at the Northants branch table show and one doesn't argue the toss with a distinguished visitor. 8-)
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

[size=medium]Hi Ian

Must admit I enjoy the table show but my favourite ( for our club) has to be the mini show, we normally have a qualified judge but we also get to be judges ourself & have a printed sheet to record our opinions before we are told how wrong we are:P.
also we get to ogle lots of nice plant as I still haven't managed to visit many of the members greenhouses yet.

Must admit being a judge must be hard as personnel preference all ways gets in the way (for me anyway)
[/size]
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.