To water or not to water

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
frederick
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

To water or not to water

Post by frederick »

Hi all.... sunshine now and greenhouse getting warm... so when do I start to water... is it too early yet or can I start now.
Help will be most appreciated.
Take care... Frederick
Chummy Hinckley
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Re: To water or not to water

Post by Hob »

hi Frederick ........there is some more on this here

see here
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by David_L »

Well I've given all my cacti a light watering now and am spraying daily. Seedlings in trays and small pots have had a bit more. Temperatures have been in the mid 20's C in the greenhouse for four days in a row with full ventilation now in sunny Bromley and more is forecast. I've also upped the thermostat to 7C to stop it getting too cold at night. Just to remind people again about scorch. This first bright Spring sunshine will easily scorch soft bodied plants. Obregonia and some Copiapoas are particularly sensitive, but almost anything can be affected.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Like Bill I water the Haworthias all year. All the succulents get a drink every month from the bottom in a small dish.

I can maintain 50 degrees F minimum even in the coldest part of winter.

I too have started to mist the Cacti and given many of the succulents more water.The Madagascan Euphorbias in the bedroom have been watered weekly throughout the winter and all look well.

Several plants have been outside for weeks getting soaked and unless the forecast is for temperatures below zero I live them there and they are looking okay.

I dont think there is really any hard and fast rule to the question of when to start watering. Location/temperature/ light levels and type of plant are all variable parts of the equation. I just do what I think is right and it usually works for me.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

I'm glad you've all said that.. I feel tempted to water, especially since many are getting new growth at least, and there are a few flowers popping out too. My smallest pincushion looks very small compared to his size before - I think he's lost 25% of his volume, although it's hard to tell with all those spikes in the way. He's only had water in the form of 10ml Provado juice a few months back, and is now shorter than his previous inch in height.

I measured the Forbies' waistlines and some have lost up to 8mm in the "drought". (:D

So, I can happily water without a terrible rot plague setting in. :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Bill

Post by Bill »

The thing is Julie yours, being a the house, which I assume is heated should be OK anyway, the biggest cause of rot is cold and wet. Theoretically if your plants are warm enough you could water all year but obviously they benefit from the winters rest.

BTW I am definitely coming down for the AGM, a few days early so can give you a lift, we'll talk nearer the date.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I've given most, perhaps all, my plants some water already. Some are under lights they've been watered regularly right through winter. Some are indoors, they are getting good sun now and will never get cold even if we have a frost. The hardy ones outside were waking up of their own accord so they've had a little water, not a drenching. The less hardy ones outside have just had a very light drizzle while it is warm and sunny, they are always the tricky ones because they've been asleep for so long but they won't tolerate being wet and cold if we get some cold weather.

On a different front, many succulents are getting watered heavily and frequently. I've had to put a Lampranthus cutting into the garden because it would suck its pot dry in one day. Many of the hardy and semi-hardy mesembs love the combination of warm days with sun and cool nights.
Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

OK, coolies! :D

It's a cold but sunny room, but the windowsill is directly above the radiator, and things do dry out quickly.. even peaty houseleeks. I must confess to giving a little drop to the smallest Forby as he was showing buds, he has traces of pollen on him so he might turn out to be a boy. He has a different pattern to the other boy.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.