just for interest 7

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: just for interest 7

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Roy,

I've just checked the description of A. glandulosum and Liu (1989) described this sp. as being "biennial to perennial". That's reminded me that I grew this from Bert Jonker's seed a while back and lost it when it flowered quite small.

With A. tabulaeforme I've used the trick of raising it from leaf cutting just as the plant has started to flower. We/you might like to try this when A. glandulosum also comes to flower. So I recommend that you watch out for this plant - it can flower quite small compared to the large dinner-plate sized rosette you need for A. tabulaeforme to flower.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

Hi Colin,
thanks for the info.I now know more about this plant than I did yesterday.
About as close as I can get to the trichomes.
[attachment 2519 b1.jpg]
Attachments
xAGiAAABBQEBAQEBAQAAAAA
xAGiAAABBQEBAQEBAQAAAAA (33.64 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
Member Bcss
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Wow Roy, that's ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. Please, please, please may I include this in my Canaries and Kasbah's presentation?

These "glands" are actually single cells that are clearly full of liquid. Now my rhetorical question is - what role do these play in the life of the plant?

Some aeoniums (e.g. A. balsamiferum) have sticky leaves and the stickiness must exude from cells such as this. But my impression is that these cells on the leaf edge maybe do something else? But what?

You (or we if you want assistance) ought to think of a CactusWorld article too.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

Hi Colin,
of course you can use it. I will try and get a sharper image during the day and PM it to you.
Member Bcss
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Roy,

Many, many thanks for this.

I'd need high res. images for my presentation, please ever so. A series starting with the full rosette (the one showing the two spp. would be good), ending up with the really close view of the trichomes would be brilliant to have.

You'll of course be mentioned in despatches.

Technically I'll need to rename my presentation, since at present the island of Madiera doesn't feature 'cos I've not yet been there! So Canaries and Kasbahs will need to be updated.

Macaronsian Memories immediately comes to mind as a title since I like a play on words - how does that sound guys??!

For those who don't know, Macaronesia is the name given to the Atlantic Islands and central Morocco, because these are linked by having similar plant communities. Only trouble is that Macaronesia includes lots of islands, in addition to Madiera such as the Azores, Salvage Islands, etc. that I've also not yet visited!
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Fantastic photos Roy! (tu)

Colin, I shall have to have words with our committee to get you booked in for a talk!! ;)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

What fascinating little bobbles, and great pics too. I also wondered what purpose they serve and how they benefit the plant.

Could they be filled with something nasty to deter creatures munching on them?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

Hi Julie,
the world looks very different when you start using optical aids. The trouble is you start finding more questions than answers:S
Member Bcss
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Maria,

Be delighted to since I've never been to Shrewsbury Branch, but my fee might be beyond your reach - I don't come cheap.:)-D
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS