Shading seedlings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Hob
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Re: Shading seedlings

Post by Hob »

i have one seedling smaller than a match head that has overwintered in the pot with its parent plant ..........no water since last october, and its still alive ::o i sometimes wonder if we worry too much about our seedlings 8-) having said that my seed pots get sprayed with water every day and a close inspection with a powerful magnifier to see if they are OK
last september i took 3 trays of seedlings to france with me for 2 weeks just so i could water them regularly (:D

a hob tip on a good magnifier ........... a standard lens from an old (pre digital SLR camera used back to front works really well) ;)
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

[quote=Hob]a hob tip on a good magnifier ........... a standard lens from an old (pre digital SLR camera used back to front works really well)[/quote]

You've lost me there, what difference does it make pre or post digital a lens is a lens.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Hehe, Hob!

I've taken trays of vegetable seedlings on the bus and train with me to the parents when I was at Uni. When they were big enough I'd take them back and plant them in old buckets and big plant pots in the garden.

My mother can be trusted to keep large pots moist, but seedlings would not have worked unless I could keep an eye on them each day.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

pre digital camera lenses .......especially standard lenses are ten a penny .........most digital camera's (mine included) fuji s7000 are built in ...........i have loads of "scrap" 35mm camera lenses that i can't give away..........one of my past hobbies was photography ......m42 screw lenses are just about obsolete......
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england