Here's a challenge...  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Steven
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Here's a challenge...

Post by Steven »

Any ideas as to the name of this plant? It grows well in warm environments, I had some plants in Tenerife outside, survived long dry periods and heavy rains, just like a weed! Brought seedlings back to UK and have grown many plants (will grow in every soil type outside during the summer). The plant has rapid growth and produces dozens of baby plants at the edge of each leaf. These drop and grow. This is the first of many plants which has flowered.
Now, I reckon it's within the Aloe group. What do you think.
[attachment 2507 whatsucculent.JPG]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (75.63 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Here's a challenge...

Post by Phil Hocking »

Must be a Kalanchoe surely?

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

kalanchoe daigremontianun ??
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

It's a weed (:D

Was kalanchoe now Bryophyllum possibly B. daigremontianum

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

I used to have one of these! I think they came from a butterfly farm in Norfolk, where I "liberated" a couple of babies which accidentally fell from the parent's leaves. :D

They are weedlike. You end up with so many, they drive you nuts. I think they all died when I was at uni. This means don't let them get too dry. ;)

Mine never flowered though.

To answer the question, I have no idea what they are.. but I can easlit imagine them being seen as weeds in their habitat.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Bill

Post by Bill »

E-mail me your address Julie and you can three different types B)

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Its very pretty :) And very dangerous :(
Cheshire, UK
Steven

Re: Here's a challenge...  Solved

Post by Steven »

Thank you all for the replies. I've checked out kalanchoe/bryophyllum diagremontianum and YES! That's it! The common name is aptly 'Mother of Thousands'. I wish other succulents multipied this quickly! Still, they form a good ground cover nicely and fill in any gaps. Trouble I've had is they can prevent growth of other plants. My late mum had one in her greenhouse over two foot tall!
Thanks, Steve