×Gasteraloe 'Flo/e/w'?

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
PhilipPV
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

×Gasteraloe 'Flo/e/w'?

Post by PhilipPV »

Does anyone have a definitive answer to the naming of this hybrid? It seems to crop up as 'Flo', 'Floe' and 'Flow' interchangeably.

Also, is there any information as to the aloe parent? I have found a source indicating that the gastric parent is G. carinata var. verrucosa but the other is seemingly unknown. If I had to guess, based on the appearance of other hybrids in my collection, I'd say Aristaloe aristata would be a possibility - but my sample size is a bit low as the only other gasteria hybrids I grow are two with A. aristata and one with Gonialoe variegata (which I very much doubt is involved here).
Gasteraloe Flow 03.jpg
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ×Gasteraloe 'Flo/e/w'?

Post by Tony R »

Philip,

I first acquired this plant from Ernst Specks (Exotica) in Germany in March 2010, labelled as X Gasteraloe 'Flo'
This was the first time I had seen it and that is the name I use.
More commonly in recent years it is often seen as 'Flow' which I disregard.

Several comments have appeared on the web re. its parentage but nothing really conclusive.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)