To bin or not to bin, that is the question.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

To bin or not to bin, that is the question.

Post by el48tel »

20240505_113625.jpg
20240505_113647.jpg
This Parodia magnifica has performed well over the past few years but I noticed that it wasn't showing signs of growth. It came away from the pot with little in the way of roots, and on cleaning the remaining roots came away. It sounds hollow.

Is it ....

Bin?
Sit on fresh compost?
Lop off bottom few centimetres, callous, and sit on fresh compost?
Another suggestion?
Thanks in anticipation
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: To bin or not to bin, that is the question.

Post by Phil_SK »

It doesn't look hollow. When they're completely rotten inside the roots tend to pull away with most of the innards at the same time. I'd give the stump a scratch with a fingernail or a brush with an old toothbrush to check for clean tissue. I suspect that would be all you'd need to do but you could cut back or gouge out until all the brown is gone though that's more for when the middle is complete mush. Let it dry and then reroot in a shallow container of moler or whatever you use for rooting cuttings.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

I would be tempted to cut it where the curve changes radius - keep the dark green and get rid of the light green. That way you'll see if any rot has got higher up. If there is any brown in the tissue when cut it is probably a goner.

Shame when that happens - its probably been rotting at the roots for a while.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

With dry rot like that you can often peel away the dead tissue taking all the rot with it. In any case new roots cannot penetrate that hardened tissue you need to get back to clean tissue, leave it form a clean callous for a few days and then re-root.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

PSX_20240506_125750.jpg
I took the gamble and cut about a generous inch above the callous. Looking at the piece now binned, I could have cut lower, but I hedged my bets.
This morning the root area looked beyond hope, so I knew that the the reroot option was not an option. I took the gamble and cut, knowing that if disease etc was present the plant was a no-go. If it doesn't callous then root ... again it's nothing further lost. If it roots then I win. Worst scenario is a space on the shelf for another purchase.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

:idea: Try rooting the bottom bit, just as is.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Bin it,
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Tina wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:54 pmBin it,
Nah
Not adventurous enough
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Phil_SK wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:44 pm :idea: Try rooting the bottom bit, just as is.
Now there's an adventurous thought ... on way now to bin
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

el48tel wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:58 pm
Phil_SK wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:44 pm :idea: Try rooting the bottom bit, just as is.
Now there's an adventurous thought ... on way now to retrieve it from bin