Rebutia or Aylostera?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
PhilipPV
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Rebutia or Aylostera?

Post by PhilipPV »

I grew the plants below from seed purchased from Succseed as "Rebutia spec. Lara & Aguilar (Tarija-Narvaez, Tarija, Bol.)" The website mentions that it is also known as "R. narvaecensis de Lara & Aguilar" but also that it is probably a new species.

Succseed doesn't separate Aylostera from Rebutia but for my records I do, as I try to go by POWO as far as possible. If this is genuinely related to (or the same as) Aylostera narvaecense then I'd like to catalogue and label it as such. Is there a straightforward way for a non-botanist to tell an Aylostera from a Rebutia. I'm sure I've read, probably here, about Aylostera having bristly flower stems but the second photo below doesn't show much of this. Have I got this the wrong way round, or is the little tuft at the base of the flower enough to count?

(Apologies for the remains of a slime trail visible in the first photo - the snails are making merry in my greenhouse at the moment. Most cacti they seem to leave a mess on without doing major damage but they have taken chunks out of an Aylostera pygmaea as well as several the other succulents).
Lara-Aguilar 01.jpg
Lara-Aguilar 02.jpg
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Re: Rebutia or Aylostera?

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I have what I believe to be the same species, raised from seed from the BCSS seed pool.
That was supplied as a form of Rebutia spinosissima, which I believe to have been reassigned to Aylostera.
Pretty, aren’t they.
SimonT
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by SimonT »

I like the combination of spine colour and flower colour.
ADBLPS lists this one as an Aylostera narvaecensis v. nova E._Aguilar_&_R._Lara under Aylostera.
It looks a bit like a cross between Aylostera narvaecensis and A. muscula!
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

The way to tell the genera apart is:

Rebutia: Flower tube and fruit smooth, or at most finely hairy
Aylostera: Flower tube hairy and bristly
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
PhilipPV
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON

Post by PhilipPV »

Thanks all. I now feel fairly confident in labelling it as an Aylostera. Further back-up was provided by the plants themselves, as the flowers do seem to develop a few more bristles as they age, and by my A. heliosa which helpfully came into bloom, displaying very clean stems to the flower except at the very base. Unfortunately I have no Rebutias (in the very strictest sense, excluding sulcos and Weingartias) of flowering size to compare with.
Philip P-V

Poole, Dorset

Growing South American cacti, Echinocereus, succulent bromeliads, smaller Aloeae, hardy Crassulaceae and whatever else catches my eye.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I relabelled all of mine this winter following the guidance on Paul’s national collection website. I retain Mediolobivia as I like them as a separate appearing group. With loads in flower at the moment I looked at the blooms and can confirm they follow the hairs rule pretty well. The plant in question sits firmly in the Aylostera section of my collection.