Any advice for Euphorbia bupleurifolia x susannae?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
wildedges
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Any advice for Euphorbia bupleurifolia x susannae?

Post by wildedges »

Hello all. Depsite promising not to buy any more plants this year I couldn't pass up on this Euphorbia that I found at the garden centre. In my defence I was left unsupervised so she's only got herself to blame :cac4: . Are there any tips for getting the best from this one and maximising the caudex? It looks like it would be ok to remove one of the side shoots too as they're a good size with only a thin connection to the main plant. Is there anything wrong with just cutting one off and potting it up? Thanks in advance (tu)
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Any advice for Euphorbia bupleurifolia x susannae?

Post by esp »

It's more of a stem succulent than a caudiciform. If you want to remove an offset to root, go for it.
They are "winter growers", so most active in spring and autumn in UK conditions.
Darren S
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Darren S »

And remove the dead leaves promptly when it goes dormant - I lost mine to botrytis infecting a dead leaf that was still attached.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Its natural tendency is to produce a clump of small sized heads. I've never tried removing all the offsets, I suspect it won't work, but give it a try. The offsets root readily enough. For me, I like the appearance of a clump in leaf, it makes a neat mound; I find it less attractive when dormant but that applies to many plants, doesn't it?
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525